BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My N46B20-swapped 2002 318i with automatic transmission has an electronic throttle (it used to have the N42B20 engine with automatic transmission, but the previous owner swapped it out - although N42B20's also had an electronic throttle). I want to do a manual-transmission swap, but I also greatly hate the laggy response of the electronic throttle. Hence, I want to do an engine swap to an engine with a manual transmission that uses cable throttle.

Preferably, I'd like to still use BMW engines and not crossbreed, but I will do so if there is no other way. This is because, from what I've read on this and a few other forums, swapping an OBDI engine into an OBDII car is not an easy task at all. Emissions laws are not strict where I live, though, so it is alright to swap in an older engine into a newer chassis; this seemed to be a concern for a lot of people living in the U.S.

Some of the BMW engines that I looked into getting were the M50TU, non-TU M52, M44, M42, and perhaps even the meek M43TU.

As for non-BMW engines, from discussing with engine-swap shops, I learned that the only Japanese engines that will fit in the E46 chassis (without oil pan modifications) are the Toyota JZ-family of engines. However, like I said, I do not want to crossbreed unless it is necessary to do so.

Thank you in advance for your time!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
M52TU has a cable throttle... Not sure if your car can take it, though. Not familiar with the N-family of engines...
M52TU doesn't use the cable throttle... it's only there as backup for the main electronic throttle, which was why I put "non-TU" for the M52 in my original post.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Hmmm- I thought the late E36 (m52, obd2) had a cable throttle, and the traction control had its OWN electric throttle to keep you out of trouble-

so you got direct throttle control, until you tried to use too much of it, and then the electric throttle closed down on you.

And I agree- while, technically, there is always "some" lag, it doesn't have to be more than milliseconds: Jenn's factory tune 2004 feels laggy, whereas
the 2001 ci with some tune or other from Dinan in it feels just like a direct throttle, even to the point of where if you stab it, you hear and feel it 'gulp' as the throttle
snaps open, then everything catches up, just like a trio of DCOEs would do... but it still doesn't have that nice mechanical inertia that 2 pounds of linkage does!

t

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm- I thought the late E36 (m52, obd2) had a cable throttle, and the traction control had its OWN electric throttle to keep you out of trouble-

so you got direct throttle control, until you tried to use too much of it, and then the electric throttle closed down on you.

And I agree- while, technically, there is always "some" lag, it doesn't have to be more than milliseconds: Jenn's factory tune 2004 feels laggy, whereas
the 2001 ci with some tune or other from Dinan in it feels just like a direct throttle, even to the point of where if you stab it, you hear and feel it 'gulp' as the throttle
snaps open, then everything catches up, just like a trio of DCOEs would do... but it still doesn't have that nice mechanical inertia that 2 pounds of linkage does!

t
M52 is pure cable but the M52TU is a primitive electronic throttle system (the cable is still there but doesn't directly connect to the butterfly valve). M54 is pure electronic like my N46.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts