E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we broke down in the middle of the road today... i've driven it a total of 400ish miles. welcome to the club, i guess? 馃槶

Registered
I have been driving for 40 years and only had needed a tow truck once for a disable car: E46 coolant tank ruptured 14 years ago on Freeway. The more we know about our cars the less it will need tow truck.

Registered
Twice in my 968 long time ago and once few years ago in my e60. High pressure hydraulic line cracked open three times in my 968, twice while at traffic light when I was trying to put it in first and once while driving. That one time i managed to drive it back home in second through half of Chicago traffic. E60 had a bad starter in the middle of winter, made sense to tow it back into warm garage ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been driving for 40 years and only had needed a tow truck once for a disable car: E46 coolant tank ruptured 14 years ago on Freeway. The more we know about our cars the less it will need tow truck.
I am definitely lacking in knowledge of these cars (and cars in general), all I know is that they look and sound beautiful. I did take it to an independent German shop for an inspection, and they said everything looked good, except for some stored VANOS fault codes which they thought could be fixed by replacing the solenoid pack. They recommended I take it to BMW for a second opinion before making any changes, so I did. BMW recommended to replace the entire VANOS system (ouch). Anyway, I took it back to the shop and went with their service, and everything about the car has been running smoothly in general, so this really came as a surprise.

Twice in my 968 long time ago and once few years ago in my e60. High pressure hydraulic line cracked open three times in my 968, twice while at traffic light when I was trying to put it in first and once while driving. That one time i managed to drive it back home in second through half of Chicago traffic. E60 had a bad starter in the middle of winter, made sense to tow it back into warm garage ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Sounds like your 968 just loved to crack those hydraulic lines lol. I was at a traffic light trying to put it in first when the engine seemingly stalled, then wouldn't start back up again

Registered
They recommended I take it to BMW for a second opinion before making any changes, so I did. BMW recommended to replace the entire VANOS system (ouch).
Whatever bad happened to the VANOS cannot killed the engine.
Replacing the entire vanos is unnecessary and costly. Maybe it just needed to be retimed.

Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
Whatever bad happened to the VANOS cannot killed the engine.
Replacing the entire vanos is unnecessary and costly. Maybe it just needed to be retimed.
You're correct except for the rare occasion; When the tabs break off of the vanos pump drive and ride the chain.
I've only seen such once.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts