E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
281 - 300 of 454 Posts

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,117 Posts
FYI y'all....

Not necessary to order from Latvia.

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
I stopped by the dealer on the way home and picked up Repair Socket 61132360643 which fits the plug on the F10 shift knob and includes the pins with which to make the connection for the lighting. I guess most people tap into the ashtray light, but since my car is an auto I've got lighting for the shift selector already. I'll cut that plug off, or if I'm lucky I'll depin that socket and transfer them to this one.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I stopped by the dealer on the way home and picked up Repair Socket 61132360643 which fits the plug on the F10 shift knob and includes the pins with which to make the connection for the lighting. I guess most people tap into the ashtray light, but since my car is an auto I've got lighting for the shift selector already. I'll cut that plug off, or if I'm lucky I'll depin that socket and transfer them to this one.
Can you check that part number? I don't find anything on that.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'll have to check when I get home. I thought that I was copying it directly off the package but must have mistranscribed.
I have the non lighted 6 speed ZHP knob already, but have the lighted 6 speed one in my M3 and do agree it looks pretty slick with the amber ambient lighting. :cool:

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I just can't get myself excited about an illuminated shift knob. It screams junk isle at PepBoys to me. 🥱

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
I hear you, and I did have a hard time convincing myself that I needed to spend as much for it as I did, but unlike the junk from Pep Boys this matches the rest of the interior lighting so seamlessly that it seems to belong.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I know it's a genuine BMW part, so I'm sure the fit and finish are there, just my preference/opinion vs yours. We can agree to disagree on this.

·
Ironman
5,117 Posts
I know it's a genuine BMW part, so I'm sure the fit and finish are there, just my preference/opinion vs yours. We can agree to disagree on this.

My M Roadster has the lighted shift knob. Looks nice. Not sure I'd go out of my way to put one in, but I can certainly see why people like them. Hey, we all do stuff to make our cars personal to us. (y)

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Absolutely, no ill intent taken!
:)
I figured, but it was a slow day at work, I had to vent somehow!

It's a shame you're on the other side of the state from sister or we'd be getting together for beer when all this crap is over and I get down that way again.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nice to see LeatherZ is still running. I bought a few things from them a decade ago when I owned a z3 coupe.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Ironman
5,117 Posts
Nice to see LeatherZ is still running. I bought a few things from them a decade ago when I owned a z3 coupe.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
At one time they were the best source for factory safety triangles. Now there are other sources that are a bit cheaper. I got both my safety triangles and first aid kit from them. The factory fire extinguisher is just stupid expensive, so I don't have that. Been meaning to build a bracket to put a standard one in my car in the factory location.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just getting caught up on the last few pages, awesome work on the recovering the pillars. I redid a headliner once and vowed never to deal with that again haha

My A-Pillars are starting to be a little floppy, they look easy to remove. Is it a simple case of pull hard but easy? Assuming I get my little issue dealt with the A-Pillars and the windshield will be the first things on my list of To-Do's

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 · (Edited)
Just getting caught up on the last few pages, awesome work on the recovering the pillars. I redid a headliner once and vowed never to deal with that again haha

My A-Pillars are starting to be a little floppy, they look easy to remove. Is it a simple case of pull hard but easy? Assuming I get my little issue dealt with the A-Pillars and the windshield will be the first things on my list of To-Do's
As far as removing the pillar itself or the loose fabric?

There's a separate strip that runs up the center of the face of the pillar, you can see it here -

That clips on with very easily broken clips to cover up the three T20 (IIRC, might be T25) screws that secure it to the body.

Once those are out you have to very carefully pull the top out a little bit and then wiggle it free while pulling up, there's a tab that engages in a slot on the dash that's very easy to break off, you can see it at the far end in the second pic.

As for the fabric, you really need to scrub the backing off of the pillars after you pull the fabric off. What happens to make them sag is the fabric delaminates leaving the backing stuck to the plastic, but putting new fabric over the top won't last long - contact cement doesn't like sticking to that face of the stuff. Once that's off you can spray some contact adhesive on both faces, wait for it to tack up, then carfully apply the fabric and then trim to the edges. I bought two yards of unbacked fabric from Headliner Magic for all of my pillars and still have a good bit left.

I'm really looking forward to replacing my windshield, especially since I've had a leak turn up right above my steering wheel. I need to get the paint done on the roof and the A-pillars first so that I won't have to work around the new windshield molding.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Or the same stuff cheaper.
Took several weeks to get here though. Bezos has definitely spoiled me in the mailorder department!
I got my gloss shadowline trim from a seller in Latvia. Theres a few sellers on ebay that seem to know what parts/options came on some european delivery cars that weren't offered in the United States. I look every now and then, I would also really like a set of auto folding mirrors.

281 - 300 of 454 Posts