BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned the hard way from experience that Rogue Engineering RTAB shims are not of the same quality as Vorshlag RTAB shims. I can't comment on Turner's or Ground Control's shims though since I've never tried either of those other two options. I just wanted to share my experiences though so that nobody else here has to go through the hassle that I did...

Do not get Rogue Engineering shims; they are too thin and on my E46s they were able to move around and would actually rattle (I tried them on both my 330 and 325 and had the same problem). This made a horrible noise that took me forever to diagnose since I was under the assumption that shims wouldn't make noise. The noise was the worst when driving over small continuous bumps on the road as it sounded like my rear suspension was falling apart and the worst part was that it for some reason sounded like it was coming from the rear shock mount. Once my mechanic and I realized that the RE ones were too thin and wiggling around, we pulled them out and the noise was gone.

Once the RE ones were out I ordered some PowerFlex RTABs which after multiple attempts at lubrication (3 times and used 3 packets of their grease each time) I was never able to get them to fully stop squeaking. I wasn't willing to tolerate their squeaking even though it was very soft. So that was what led me to Vorshlag...

I ordered up a set of Vorshlag shims because of the fantastic quality that I've experienced from all of their products and advice and have now experienced no rattling, noises, or movement with the Vorshlag RTAB shims.

As you can see below there is clearly a difference in thickness between the two brands. Vorshlag on the left and RE on the right:

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
Good info! I plan to get the M3 RTAB/vorshlag limiter combo. I have the UUC RTABs which squeak and I still have grease dripping out of the bracket. Although the squeaking really doesn't bother me. I've also heard that urethane isn't good for bushings that move along multiple axises (sp?).

I've got the vorshlag motor mounts and camber plates and they seems to do exactly as advertised. I will agree Vorshlag makes a quality part that is tolerable for both the street and track when advertised as such!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to hear you've been happy with the Vorshlag motor mounts! I plan on getting a set of Vorshlag's orange 85A durometer motor mounts and red 95A polyurethane tranny mounts in the near future. I've had such good luck with their AST suspension, camber plates, and RTAB shims/recommendation that I have a lot of faith in them these days. I even plan on getting taking my OEM BMW Performance strut tower bar off my 330 and putting it on my 325 at some point so I can order up the front and rear Mason strut tower braces that Vorshlag is selling. I think at that point I'll pretty much have everything their selling for the E46 ;) (if you count my D-Force EmPOWER and LTW5 wheels)

And yes, Vorshlag claims that Poly and Delrin are bad for a RTAB bushing (so does Ground Control) but then TC Kline says that Delrin is great so there is a lot of mixed information out there. I know that everyone would prefer that you ran a Monoball if you could tolerate the noise the eventually make.

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
Intresting. Ive had my RE shims for almost 2 years and no noise, nothing. I also have OEM M3 bushes. Hope they dont become and issue.

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
Glad to hear you've been happy with the Vorshlag motor mounts! I plan on getting a set of Vorshlag's orange 85A durometer motor mounts and red 95A polyurethane tranny mounts in the near future. I've had such good luck with their AST suspension, camber plates, and RTAB shims/recommendation that I have a lot of faith in them these days. I even plan on getting taking my OEM BMW Performance strut tower bar off my 330 and putting it on my 325 at some point so I can order up the front and rear Mason strut tower braces that Vorshlag is selling. I think at that point I'll pretty much have everything their selling for the E46 ;) (if you count my D-Force EmPOWER and LTW5 wheels)

And yes, Vorshlag claims that Poly and Delrin are bad for a RTAB bushing (so does Ground Control) but then TC Kline says that Delrin is great so there is a lot of mixed information out there. I know that everyone would prefer that you ran a Monoball if you could tolerate the noise the eventually make.
I've read in a couple of places outside of this site that poly is bad for this type of bushing.

I thought the Dinan monoball bushing was supposed to be silent, comfortable, and highest performing option. I would consider that but its like $800.

The motor mounts are a worthy upgrade. They add a little NVH but its not unbearable for DD by any stretch of the imagination. If anything, it really makes throttle response and shifting a little crisper.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Dinan monoball is actually not nearly as quiet as OEM. It may be quiet at first but it is definitely going to develop some noise over time. It's never going to be very loud but it will eventually pop and click.

When you say that the Vorshlag mounts add NVH... do you just mean that you can hear the motor more?

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
When you say that the Vorshlag mounts add NVH... do you just mean that you can hear the motor more?
If you try to accelerate from less than 1750 RPMs, the shudder will be much more noticeable and deeper. I had the mounts installed while the car was sitting for 6 months but I could swear that the engine/exhaust sound x10 better than it did before with the old mounts.

Its a significant improvement but I wouldn't put these on my wife's car.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My buddy has the RE shims in his car, no squeaks or issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
Oh Shiiitttt, Im getting a noise in the back. I hope its not the RE shims. Sounds like the rear is clunking. The RTABS are OEM M3, 2 yrs old. :(.

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
Damn Guys, i think i know whats happening. My Diff bushings are shot, when i drive over bumps not only does it clunk but it hit's the sway bar ( its really close, i need to shorten the hotchkis links) This is my guess.

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
Clunk when driving over bumps you mean??

Sorry OP for thread jacking.
Not sure. I only started hearing intermittent clunking for about a month. Sometimes over bumps, sometimes when I accelerate hard.

I wasn't too concerned since I was about to reinforce my subframe shortly after the clunking started.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts