BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I've been searching all over but haven't found any straight answers. I have a jet black sedan, and really want to vinyl-wrap the strips of plastic that surround the lower half of the car. My plastic is all faded from age and I hate having to armor-all with every wash. Also, I'd make a disaster if I attempted to sand & paint. Is it relatively easy to remove the trim and wrap it with some sort of self-stick gloss black vinyl? I don't know much about this which is why I'm asking. I prefer to avoid paying to have it done if possible, but if that's the only reasonable route then I'll just wait.

OH, and do any hardware/automotive/crafts stores/shops in the SF Bay Area sell rolls of the wrap without you having to get it done there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
My family owns a vinyl shop, Ive wrapped plenty of cars with plastic. It will work! If you do it though, there can be no wax, armor all or anything on the parts you are wrapping, the vinyl will not stick! Also, to avoid wrinkles, do it in the heat, the vinyl will stretch better, but do not stretch it too far as the color will fade then. I will be wrapping my car soon, and I can tell you how it goes, but you should have no problems with wrapping it. Also there is a difference between regular vinyl and wrap material, vinyl will not last as long as a laminated piece of wrap material.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My family owns a vinyl shop, Ive wrapped plenty of cars with plastic. It will work! If you do it though, there can be no wax, armor all or anything on the parts you are wrapping, the vinyl will not stick! Also, to avoid wrinkles, do it in the heat, the vinyl will stretch better, but do not stretch it too far as the color will fade then. I will be wrapping my car soon, and I can tell you how it goes, but you should have no problems with wrapping it. Also there is a difference between regular vinyl and wrap material, vinyl will not last as long as a laminated piece of wrap material.
Awesome, thanks for the info!

Anyone in the bay know of a place to buy it? (I'll order online if I have to, I'm just impatient :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
474 Posts
I work at a vinyl shop also. stick with his advice and use the wrapping material, its called gerber, i got some i can sell you for a really cheap price. paypal me $20 and ill send u more than enough to do your car

·
Registered
87 Posts
I work at a vinyl shop also. stick with his advice and use the wrapping material, its called gerber, i got some i can sell you for a really cheap price. paypal me $20 and ill send u more than enough to do your car
Gerber? What the life on that? I use 3m laminated and im getting about 6 years.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You could go another route and just buy a plastic trim restoration kit. It would most likely be easier than wrapping in vinyl and will make your trim look brand spankin' new.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I was thinking about doing the same thing. Another fantic on here said he used back-to-black so I gave it a shot it works like a charm made it look brand new. You should give it a shot was only like 6 bucks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts