E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into wrapping my car matte black ? But I don't know too much about it. Does anyone have any input?

·
Registered
329 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
wow, that would actually look freaking awesome, my only question would be maintenance. do you still wax it? how does vinyl wash compared to regular paint? etc also how would it hold up against road wear? if you get a chip do you have to revinyl the whole thing or do they have some way to patch it? just some thoughts... wish i could do this to mine

·
Registered
329 Posts
Im pretty sure that the wash question was asked/answered somewhere in that thread, I just cant remember at the moment

And when you vinyl it its alot of cutting and sizing, so if you chip/scrape you would just be replacing the piece/sheet that is damaged.

Although this is all meticulous work and it would most def take time and energy to make it look perfect. Other then that if you can pull it off like that guy did with his evo its a nice alternative to a full paint job.

It saves you money, protects your paint underneath, and then whenever you get tired just peel it off and back to stock paint :thumbup:

·
Registered
182 Posts
wow, that would actually look freaking awesome, my only question would be maintenance.

do you still wax it? how does vinyl wash compared to regular paint? yes you wash it like normal paint. and no you don't wax it, wax makes it shiny, the purpose of matte is to be not glossy...therefore, what does wax do, shiny!:thumbup:

also how would it hold up against road wear? It's just vinyl after time it's gonna have chips and rips etc, just depends the thickness of the vinyl

if you get a chip do you have to revinyl the whole thing or do they have some way to patch it? yes, re-vinyl the entire panel that has a chip

just some thoughts... wish i could do this to mine
I added the bold. I have a matte black car, I don't dig it at all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
wraps make sense to me if you are doing something that would be difficult or very expensive to paint. If you are doing a basic color, then painting would be the better option, imo.

not into myself, but the last pic seems pretty cool.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have had my bumpers-moldings-bumper all wrapped fro two years now. I went to avery Vynl and ordered mine. I LOVE IT, the car stands out and you do not have to worry about the fading black rubber.
THE CONS : it is challenging-stretching the vynl over a surface that is in all different directions contours-need to be patient adn develope some skills-workmanship abilities with hands.
If your applying.... put it on and it wrinkles ....peel it up and reapply-BUT it looses its adhesiveness after three tries.
Clean the surface before application-on rubber door moldings DONT ARMOR ALL IT! let it air dry or by the sun to dry it-
do it in a warm air temperature enviornment-when its cool and cold the vynl wil tear very easily...
It wil tear if you rub up against agarbage pail etc...

THE PROS: IT LOOKS GREAT!!!!!..My cars color is all uniform and very streamlined, NO fading black moldings against the gloss shine of your automobile. You can totally seperate your cars appearance from everyone elses.
I can wash right over it with car soap and water and it is durable to an extent.
If your going for the vynl decals( I.wanted the fading M series flag on my fender..??) be careful when applying-there are alot of "how to" for the application. I suggest reading -watching it to avoid placement mistakes -and how to improve the apllication process.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it's a little expensive... I could prolly jut get it painted for a 500 more... But the thought of bein able to change it back to stock is neat!

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
this has been done a thousand times, and its awesome!!!! i want to do matte black too but i have to pay college tuition because i'm avoiding loans lmao.

Pros:
keeps ur real paint clean
protects from rock chips
can change color of car to whatever you want
dont need to wax
if you get tired of a color, just change it!
girls may just get wet down there when they see matte colored cars

Cons:
too much money
alot of work to get perfect (professionals do it best, DIY would be a pain with all the bubbles and crap)
alot of time

So if you have the money, time, and skill, then there are no cons!

·
Registered
317 Posts
vynl wrap

this has been done a thousand times, and its awesome!!!! i want to do matte black too but i have to pay college tuition because i'm avoiding loans lmao.

Pros:
keeps ur real paint clean
protects from rock chips
can change color of car to whatever you want
dont need to wax
if you get tired of a color, just change it!
girls may just get wet down there when they see matte colored cars

Cons:
too much money
alot of work to get perfect (professionals do it best, DIY would be a pain with all the bubbles and crap)
alot of time

So if you have the money, time, and skill, then there are no cons!
I have had many females show strong desire and appreciation for my car-but all the other you stated! LOL...thats funny!

·
Registered
329 Posts
The wraps are awesome.... if its small you can do it-but the larger schemes-leave it to a professional...
The guy in the evo forums whose link I posted wasnt a professional..He did it all himself.

Not saying jump right in and go for it, but with patience and practice, its doable.

·
Registered
317 Posts
nah.. you could scrtatch it with a nail or areally abrasive surface..its strong. I applied mine in the warm summer months so it went on easier. I did notice when its cold its more fragile -especially areas that are not flush with the plastic. I had a difficult time with my license plate frame. I have a euro plate so mine has alot of curves. I missed some small spots and eventually the vynly ripped from being "wind pressed" all the time.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Anyone else have any more info on where to get a hold of this stuff? I've looked around and found some places i could get half rolls or 5'x30' sections for around 200 shipped... Seems like something that would be fun to do in the summer, even if i only keep it for a year or so... I could do the interior at the same time and have everything match..

Thinking about doing matte red or blue.... Check out this thread on the m5 board. I know it's not going to be everyones taste but some of these e9x's look sexxxy

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/157769-vinyl-wrap-3.html

·
Registered
401 Posts
We have 3M-DiNoc available by the roll...

i wrapped my interior with this 3M stuff - and its great! bubbling isn't an issue as it "breathes".

I'd love to wrap my car in it, maybe a semi gloss black or something.

Go for it!

·
Registered
401 Posts
what do the door sills/jams look like after wrapping? I never hear anyone talk about that - i mean the outside looks good, but what about when you open the doors or the hood? anyone wrapped care to post pictures of how the professionals handle this?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts