·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,982 Posts
Another great DIY. I am impressed by your knowledge at such a young age.
was thinking the same, well presented and spoken. :thumbup:

two things i would like to mention.
first, mention either about taping the bottom black section of the coupe armrests prior to sanding/painting as that finish gets scratched up easily.

second, i think you mean the Silver trim. this doesn't really rival the look of the oem Brushed Aluminum trim.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I had hoped to see what the brands were for the paint, primer, and clear coat. Also I am wondering how long the paint holds up on areas that are touched often like the handles. I have been reluctant to wrap or even paint it thinking those areas may look like crap fast.

OP, how long did it take you do pull all the trim off, prep, prime, paint, and reassemble everything?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had hoped to see what the brands were for the paint, primer, and clear coat. Also I am wondering how long the paint holds up on areas that are touched often like the handles. I have been reluctant to wrap or even paint it thinking those areas may look like crap fast.

OP, how long did it take you do pull all the trim off, prep, prime, paint, and reassemble everything?
I got my paint at http://www.automotivetouchup.com . I had the same concern about durabilty, but keep in mind that the outside door handle has the same paint and seems to have held up fine. It can't possibly look worse than the wood that looked like it had been through hell and back.

It took a while for me to get this done because of the weather, and because I screwed up more than I'd like to admit. This could be cranked out in a sunny weekend, provided the wind doesn't pick up.

two things i would like to mention.
first, mention either about taping the bottom black section of the coupe armrests prior to sanding/painting as that finish gets scratched up easily.

second, i think you mean the Silver trim. this doesn't really rival the look of the oem Brushed Aluminum trim.
I actually didn't mask those black bits until after I sanded them, but ideally you would mask before you sand. The finish looks like the color of aluminum so that's why I defined it like that, but you're right. I'm just not fond of the color silver as it sounds boring. However, there are ways to make the paint have that brushed look; Google is your friend for this.

I just couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on trim when there are more important things that have to be done; that was the inspiration for this video. Thanks for watching!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.