E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i’ve been annoyed by this for some time: when im above lets say 3000 rpm i get lots of vibration coming from the rear wheels. My local mechanic said its because of the angle the wishbones, steering rods and rear left and right driveshaft have due to the extreme lowering. Does anyone has experience with this? All help is more than welcome.
Thanks in Advance

Ayrton

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,095 Posts
Your mechanic either doesn't know or is BSing. Your car is 1 - 1.5cm lower than mine and I have NO issues. Good dampers, good alignment, fresh bushings, and most of all, well balanced tires help.

Did the vibration start directly after lowering? Are your wheels genuine M Parallels or aftermarket with offsets to fit the E46? Are you using hub rings (makes up for the difference in the wheel hub diameter and the actual diameter of the hub on your car)?

My first guess would be either wheel balancing or not using the rings and having your wheels not precisely concentric with your hubs.

·
Ironman
5,095 Posts
Beautiful touring by the way. Love the color.

Mine:

·
Ironman
5,095 Posts
Are your M Parallels 19" aftermarket wheels? They look bigger than mine. A few years back I know someone on Bimmerforums commissioned several sets with a group buy.

·
Registered
2004 E46 325i Touring 5-speed maunual
13 Posts
Maybe it's your center support bearing, but then it will only happen at higher speeds.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Its odd you are mentioning the rpm based vibration. So in any gear or speed, but 3k eh? How about at a full stop in N? If yes it has nothing to do with wheels/tires or drivetrain. So what say you?

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
All of the above. If it's RPM related it has nothing to do with the wheels/tires/suspension. I've been running at a similar height to Geo31 for almost 7 years with no issues. My current setup does include a set of adjustable camber arms, but I ran without them on my 2001 with no issues. Something is worn, out of balance, etc. Time to find a new mechanic.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your mechanic either doesn't know or is BSing. Your car is 1 - 1.5cm lower than mine and I have NO issues. Good dampers, good alignment, fresh bushings, and most of all, well balanced tires help.

Did the vibration start directly after lowering? Are your wheels genuine M Parallels or aftermarket with offsets to fit the E46? Are you using hub rings (makes up for the difference in the wheel hub diameter and the actual diameter of the hub on your car)?

My first guess would be either wheel balancing or not using the rings and having your wheels not precisely concentric with your hubs.
thats an awesome reply, thank you.

the wheels are genuine.
No hubs
The tires are balanced as well.

the vibration started after lowering yes. And went to 2 shops for alignment but they both didnt want to do the rear because the were to afraid to break the piece where you connect the alignment machine for the rearwheels (im sorry i dont know the names of these parts.) so maybe i need to replace those parts?

so what im guessing right now is that the rear alignment is just bad because i needed to do it by hand. Vibrations were worse before, but its getting there again

the car has 325000km on it so a lot of parts are going bad i guess.

Pls let me know what you think is best to do now

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are your M Parallels 19" aftermarket wheels? They look bigger than mine. A few years back I know someone on Bimmerforums commissioned several sets with a group buy.
No there 18” of a 7 series in germany (the im in the netherlands

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its odd you are mentioning the rpm based vibration. So in any gear or speed, but 3k eh? How about at a full stop in N? If yes it has nothing to do with wheels/tires or drivetrain. So what say you?
Well i guess the reason im saying 3k is because thats when it gets annoying so its there at low speeds but the more rpms you make in any gear the worse the vibrations get (excuse my english, greetings from amsterdam lol)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All of the above. If it's RPM related it has nothing to do with the wheels/tires/suspension. I've been running at a similar height to Geo31 for almost 7 years with no issues. My current setup does include a set of adjustable camber arms, but I ran without them on my 2001 with no issues. Something is worn, out of balance, etc. Time to find a new mechanic.

My mind is worn as well.. get me out of balance.. i think you re right, i need to search in those area’s until i find. Working on cars myself is still kinda new to me but the mechanics over here are all giving me the same answer: raise the car.

so cant stop, wont stop.
Thank you

·
Ironman
5,095 Posts
OK, I was stupid and wasn't reading carefully enough.

If it is directly related to rpm rather than road speed (same rpm in all gears), that would suggest it must be before the gearbox or the input shaft of the gearbox. Everything after the input shaft of the gearbox is going to be more directly noticed at a given road speed. That distinction here is very important.

·
Ironman
5,095 Posts
My mind is worn as well.. get me out of balance.. i think you re right, i need to search in those area’s until i find. Working on cars myself is still kinda new to me but the mechanics over here are all giving me the same answer: raise the car.

so cant stop, wont stop.
Thank you
They are just being stupid. I've seen E46s lowered much more than yours with no troubles. Besides, as I said in my more recent reply, if it's rpm related I cannot imagine any way it's lowering related.

IF it's road speed related, it could be almost anything after the input shaft of the gearbox. For example:

Output shaft bearings in the gearbox (unlikely)
Guibos in the drivetrain
Center support bearing
Suspension or differential bushings
Differential bearings (unlikely)
Wheel bearings
Wheel mounting (you'd be surprised - I've mounted factory wheels while not being careful and had vibrations - remount more carefully and the vibration is gone)

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Since you said it occurred after lowering I'm hoping it's just an alignment issue. If the shops are afraid to attach the equipment they're probably afraid of damaging the car or equipment when they're doing the setup is my guess. Worried the alignment equipment isn't going to clear the wheel wells, most likely.

·
Ironman
5,095 Posts
I'll further say, if the consensus really is the alignment, you can buy a few modest tools and I can recommend a great article so you can do an alignment yourself. Racers do it all the time. It can be done with string, a protractor, and a tape measure, but with a couple of modest tools it gets a fair bit easier. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts