E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove from Spokane to Helena yesterday.

get a little bit of problem.

While I driving I can feel that my steering wheel is not seem right. it feel very loose, and when I brake I feel a little bit of vibration too.

So I wonder is it my suspension, control arms, or bushing ?

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
or both.
I took mines out today. they were COMPLETELY shot. torn boots, dried joints, cracked bushings.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Like jasonbimmer said, it is probably the FCAB's and control arm. But since you mentioned the steering wheel feeling lose, it may not hurt to check out the steering coupler, before you order parts, because it would suck to do the control arms and bushings, only to find out you still have a problem. Here is a link to the part at ECS Tuning. There may be less expensive ones on other sites, this is just an example.
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330xi-M54_3.0L/Steering/Hose/ES52449/
It is a female torx bolt, so you will need special sockets, if you need to change it. Also, buy new bolts, don't reuse the old ones. Hopefully, you don't need this as well, because it is not the easiest thing to get to. I just thought I would mention it. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
the bushings are a bit hard to do cuz you need to use a press. the rest is pretty easy.
It is easier to just buy the ones with the bushings already pressed into the housings (lolipops). They are not that much more, and you can be reasonably sure they were done correctly, and it is a lot easier than trying to press them in yourself.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
It is easier to just buy the ones with the bushings already pressed into the housings (lolipops). They are not that much more, and you can be reasonably sure they were done correctly, and it is a lot easier than trying to press them in yourself.
except hes got an xi, and they dont have pressed in bushings like you guys can get for your i's.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
except hes got an xi, and they dont have pressed in bushings like you guys can get for your i's.
oh! Sorry about that. I did not notice the "xi" I wondered why you were talking about pressing in bushings. I thought maybe you were just hardcore old school or something! :)

@OP - the Powerflex bushings are long lasting, but they are quite a bit stiffer. Depending on your tastes, this may or may not be an issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would post your questions in the xi thread if I were you. This topic is fairly well discussed by people with xi specific knowledge and experience. It has been very helpful to me. I'd go powerflex if I were you. No firsthand experience as I haven't needed them yet but a lot of guys who end up doing suspension overhauls opt for them.

I know the road you drove very well and often take my xi over to Spokane (where I used to live) from the Flathead Valley where I live now. I'd get it looked at before making the trip again, especially in the winter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts