E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 18 in. wheels and brand new tires on my 2000 328i sedan today and now there is a slight vibration when im doing about 35-45 in 4th gear. i am not braking either. This was not like this at all before I got my new wheels. i went from 17's to 18's. Any ideas. I took the car back and they checked the balancing ans also made sure that everything was tight. I bought aftermarket wheels. could it be from the solid lug and thread to going to the conversion of just having seperate lugs and threads (if that maked since). In other words they had to convert my lugs over... I know my car is nicely alligned as well. PLEASE HELP. Its not a horrible vibration but a small pulsation. It also happens at around 60MPH. Thanks, Ben

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here is a free bump cause my car started doing the same thing after I painted my calipers two weeks ago. The steering wheel will pulsate left and right ever so sloightly around 20-30MPH. I have no reasons why this started. If there is anybody who might have an answer besides "Wheel balancing" please chime in.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sounds like your Control Arm bushings are going ... if not then it's poor balancing or a non straight wheel. I'm betting it's the bushings. This question has been beat too another lifetime. Do a search and you will find many answers and fixes to the same problem.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i think they are not hub centric might need a ring, or not properly balanced......take it to another place and have it balanced.

and about the paint...did you just paint the calipers? coz thats really weird

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what do you mean by hub centric? RIng? My steering was perfect before 10am this morning. and now its off. Changing wheel sizes should not affect bushing should if?

·
Registered
69 Posts
i had the same problem. i have m3 and bought rims and it shook like crazy. turned out that the m3 requires hub centric rims meaning you need centering rings that are spacers between the rim and the center of the wheel mount. if you need to, you could put a layer of tape to thicken the ring so that the rim mounts directly center. this worked out pretty good.

·
Registered
97 Posts
GottaLoveIt said:
i had the same problem. i have m3 and bought rims and it shook like crazy. turned out that the m3 requires hub centric rims meaning you need centering rings that are spacers between the rim and the center of the wheel mount. if you need to, you could put a layer of tape to thicken the ring so that the rim mounts directly center. this worked out pretty good.
exactly what he said, your bushings are fine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had the same problem when I upgrade the rims on my 330 convert. Some tireplace do not know how to do a good balance. you have to be careful when upgrade wheels on BMW because the way BMW built cars, they build cars in such a way that the driver can receive road feedback, so as the result, You need to have a good wheel balance. Sometimes the wheels may be out of round. this happened to me before, BMW gave me a brand new tire for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts