BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I currently own a 2000 E46 and I have just recently (4 days ago) began experiencing some vibrations throughout the car upon acceleration. To go more in depth, the problem occurs when I accelerate, and continues while idling at a less severe vibration. This is not just the steering wheel vibrating, but the entire car. I have noticed that this problem doesn't always occur from startup, but occurs about 5-20 mins into the drive. I have realized that if I turn the car off once the vibrations begin to occur and let it sit for 30 secs, the vibrations will cease after starting it up again, but will occur again after 5 mins. I do not know if this would play into anything, but this car is manual transmission. Also, the temperature has just began to fall, so cold weather could possibly play into this? I looked upon other similar forums and I noticed a CV joint could be a possibility?

I appreciate suggestions and advice!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@rlordjr Guibo looked fine when getting under the car. If it is the guibo I hate to do it but I would have to bring it in to the dealer to make sure the weight is correct, might cost me a fortune though :yikes:

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,588 Posts
@rlordjr Guibo looked fine when getting under the car. If it is the guibo I hate to do it but I would have to bring it in to the dealer to make sure the weight is correct, might cost me a fortune though :yikes:
Replacing the Giubo is actually pretty easy, though you have to get under the car. The only issue is removing the exhaust flange bolts. The Giubo is not a visual inspection item, as it can break down without obvious signs of wear. How many miles do you have?

There are a lot of wear items that can result in vibration, including tires, bushings and mounts, as well as the giubo and center support bearing.

Look here:
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum...-some-suggested-possible-areas-check-t125342/

I would be concerned that you are not interested in replacing the Giubo. Have you refreshed your suspension yet? This will get VERY expensive if you go to a dealer to do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
@Archbid

The car is @ 214,450K miles on it, so a decent amount. We (My father and I) replaced the giubo last fall as we repaired a subframe crack upon the car. I would expect a newly repaired giubo to perform well, but it could very much be the giubo. Only problem is, I am now about 150 miles away at college, and have no way of getting under the car unless i bring it in to a shop :( Also, we lowered the car 1.5 inches while repairing the subframe crack. Put Megan racing springs on it, made the ride a lot harder, almost feels like a rally car

·
Registered
798 Posts
Taking a wild guess here, how are your engine mounts? Does the vibration happens in neutral also? It changes something if you press the clutch?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Taking a wild guess here, how are your engine mounts? Does the vibration happens in neutral also? It changes something if you press the clutch?
It does do it in neutral, haven't checked engine mounts yet but it's something I'll look into. Doesn't really change much when I press the clutch down though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts