BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my Dyno from a month ago. Not really happy with the results, paid a lot of money for 50-60whp, assuming stock is 290whp or so ??? The following would be the main factors:
  1. Altitude 1100m / 3500ft
  2. Secondary air pump on car is broken, waiting for replacement part from Germany.
So the first dyno is CORRECTED and the second is UNCORRECTED. No wonder the Dinan non-intercooled car that was on our track a while back walked on me...

PS: they could not get the TAC signal, so hence no torque, just mph.

What could be wrong here ??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Unplug your battery, reset adaptations and re-dyno. You will gain around 20hp. I notice a big difference in my car everytime I unplug my battery and reset adaptations. Suddenly a beast again.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
A Dinan Non intercooled car is not that fast, with the power made, you should have took him regardless, so that doesn't make sense.

Something is not quite right, did you ever get a boost gauge installed? Your AFR is okay, but looks a bit off IMO should be a little fatter up top.

Install a boost gauge that will tell us more. You could have a slight boost leak, there's a few areas of possibility. Check boost 1st and report back. Corrected you're not too far off fromt the 395-408WHP everyone else is getting with 5.5 psi. Did you get a reflash for the new rev limit yet?

Good luck Bro.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unplug your battery, reset adaptations and re-dyno. You will gain around 20hp. I notice a big difference in my car everytime I unplug my battery and reset adaptations. Suddenly a beast again.
will try, got nothing to lose here. :)

A Dinan Non intercooled car is not that fast, with the power made, you should have took him regardless, so that doesn't make sense.

Something is not quite right, did you ever get a boost gauge installed? Your AFR is okay, but looks a bit off IMO should be a little fatter up top.

Install a boost gauge that will tell us more. You could have a slight boost leak, there's a few areas of possibility. Check boost 1st and report back. Corrected you're not too far off fromt the 395-408WHP everyone else is getting with 5.5 psi. Did you get a reflash for the new rev limit yet?

Good luck Bro.
yes, a temporary boost gauge installed by my tuner revealed i was boosting between 5-5psi, no problem there.

can you get a reflash for new rev limit on stage 1 ? I thought that was only stage 2, which we [ meaning the rest of us normal guys :) ] are still waiting for,

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
will try, got nothing to lose here. :)

yes, a temporary boost gauge installed by my tuner revealed i was boosting between 5-5psi, no problem there.

can you get a reflash for new rev limit on stage 1 ? I thought that was only stage 2, which we [ meaning the rest of us normal guys :) ] are still waiting for,
Nope, you can do a reflash now with stage 1. :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
The increased rev limit reflash for stage 1 (which I have also) was offered as a free upgrade for existing VF customers. Give them a call, talk to either Nik or Jeff, and see if it is still being offered.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
385RWHP isn't far off what all the other Stage 1 VF cars are getting, especially since your at a pretty high altitude and have the lower rev limiter. In fact, I would say those are good numbers.

·
Keep it clean
7,984 Posts
You don't have to disconnect the battery to reset the adaptations. You can just do it with the key. Turn the car to "ON" for 10 seconds" Turn it to "OFF" for 10 seconds, then start. Reset.

If that's only a non-M thing, ignore me.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The increased rev limit reflash for stage 1 (which I have also) was offered as a free upgrade for existing VF customers. Give them a call, talk to either Nik or Jeff, and see if it is still being offered.
Phoned VF, did not know about the reflash. I'm gonna wait and get Stg 2 anyways so that I don;t have to ship my ECU back and forth twice.

385RWHP isn't far off what all the other Stage 1 VF cars are getting, especially since your at a pretty high altitude and have the lower rev limiter. In fact, I would say those are good numbers.
Was everyone else's dyno;s with stock rpm ??? that would make me feel better...

Anyway, I appreciate your comments :)

·
www.my330i.com
1,912 Posts
Actually, 385 isn't bad for the VF setup. Did you run a stock baseline to compare? Stock isn't normally above 290whp unless its a Euro M3. Normally it is between 275-285rwhp on a US M3, so you are seeing 100whp more correctly.

Steve, if the car feels like a "beast" after an adaptation clear, that means something is wrong. It shows that the car is having to adapt away from the set targets in the software to run correctly. It should run like a beast all the time without resets.

You don't have to disconnect the battery to reset the adaptations. You can just do it with the key. Turn the car to "ON" for 10 seconds" Turn it to "OFF" for 10 seconds, then start. Reset.

If that's only a non-M thing, ignore me.
Actually, the 10 seconds ignition trick usually only reset the throttle adapts. Not the STFT, LTFT, spark, and VANOS.

·
TWC 2008
3,024 Posts
Here is what I'm confused about. The 2nd dyno is uncorrected? Most of the time doesn't the uncorrected dyno read higher? Please excuse my ignorance b/c I don't know much about this stuff, but even then that's a big 40whp or so difference btwn the two dynos.

Since you really have nothing to lose here. First reset the adaptations. Also I'm assuming that the VF stage I runs the stock MAF. Perhaps you should get some MAF cleaner and clean it while you are at it.

Another problem I have read about people losing power is in the fuel filters. Check that to see if its clogged. If so replace it. Also keep in mind that there are not many M3's that dyno 290whp stock! I highly doubt there are that many, and if they have the dyno may be one that reads higher than others. A more realistic stock rwhp on a stock m3 is on the low end 265 ish and on the high end in the 280s. Avg. being in the 270 range. So if you are making 385 whp that about 100 whp from 5.5 lbs of boost. That if you ask me is pretty damn good for the 7-10k you paid for your SC with install and whatnot. Comes down to at least 10whp per 1k spent.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Here is what I'm confused about. The 2nd dyno is uncorrected? Most of the time doesn't the uncorrected dyno read higher? Please excuse my ignorance b/c I don't know much about this stuff, but even then that's a big 40whp or so difference btwn the two dynos.
Correct is usually higher. Since he is at higher altitude there is less dense air, hence less HP. When corrected, I think it puts it to sea-level which has much more dense air, hence the higher number.

He is being corrected for sea-level (IIRC) elevation.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thks very much guys for the input so far :thumbsup:

^^ yes, I am being corrected to sea level on the 1st dyno above. And yes, air is a LOT thinner at 3500ft !! I was told that even NA cars lose hp up here, maybe even more ?

Anyway, my immediate goal is to push over 400rwhp UNcorrected. Stage 2, come to papa....

So I'm gonna put the Euro cats on as soon as I can get my grubby hands on one. Then: do you guys think headers would help a bit ???

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
thks very much guys for the input so far :thumbsup:

^^ yes, I am being corrected to sea level on the 1st dyno above. And yes, air is a LOT thinner at 3500ft !! I was told that even NA cars lose hp up here, maybe even more ?

Anyway, my immediate goal is to push over 400rwhp UNcorrected. Stage 2, come to papa....

So I'm gonna put the Euro cats on as soon as I can get my grubby hands on one. Then: do you guys think headers would help a bit ???
Yup, NA cars would most likely be losing more % of their horsepower at that that altitude.

Stage 2 and the euro cats won't get you over 400rwhp UNCORRECTED, no way. YOu'd probably be looking at around 25 uncorrected rwhp more.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah,I know I won't be up to 400rwhp with the above mods, but it would be a startuntil VF releases the built motor, stage 3.

·
Registered
560 Posts
yeah,I know I won't be up to 400rwhp with the above mods, but it would be a startuntil VF releases the built motor, stage 3.
I think u could achieve well over 400rwhp with the HPF kit, without opening up the engine.... but weren't u the one who complained about the price of the HPF kit? :confused:

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think u could achieve well over 400rwhp with the HPF kit, without opening up the engine.... but weren't u the one who complained about the price of the HPF kit? :confused:
lol yes that was me. I still figure i'm ahead of $16000, but maybe not by much when I'm done. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts