E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right now I dont know what I want...... For a minute, I was considering trading in my car for a imola red M3 vert.... But i think that would be really stupid because i have spent so much time/money/effort into making my car what it is... so i am considering doing something else....

im not looking for an exact figure, but could someone give me a ball park figure on what something like this would cost... maybe Amir would know, and Samir and a few other members... heres what i was thinking

1. replace my steptronic tranny with a 5speed

2. dump a supercharger in there

what should i be expecting to pay... over 10 grand? any help would be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I'd say ballpark 12K but it depends a lot on which SC, and how good of a deal you could get at whatever shop installs it. Also if you're doing it you might as well go with a 6 speed.

·
can ya spare some change?
738 Posts
If you are considering the tranny swap and supercharger, I'd just say suck it up and trade it in. Although you've done a lot to your car, the money spent on doing the swap will never recoup itself even if you sell it later on. It'll even decrease the value of your car. Plus even with all the mods that you do, the M3 will still be more fun to drive.

·
The Man
328 Posts
dude, put a downpayment on a house or apt

·
Dale Earnhardt's Double
530 Posts
Frankie, I'd recommend you get a new M3 Vert and start over on the mods. How many miles on your present car?

·
Law Enforcer
…’22 992 Carrera C2S arriving soon!!!
2,355 Posts
I'd say save the cash and trade in your car for the M3 (non-vert! :D ...heehe, j/k bro....). The M3 is soooooooooo fun to drive and you won't regret going that route.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
One thing to think about is that you recoup very little from what you spend on mods where as if you went up to an M3 it would have higher value when you went to sell it rather than just flushing the 12K.

·
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]
2,505 Posts
i would just get a new m3 6spd - go for it

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmm... Im still not sure.... The M3 insurance is crazy, I think I know what I will be doing... Keeping my 325 until next september and then moving up from there.... Man, let me give all you guys some advice, never drive an M3 unless you plan on getting one really soon... I HATE MY FRIEND

·
Registered
619 Posts
Get the M3 !!!!!!

·
Law Enforcer
2,355 Posts
DropTopBM said:
hmmm... Im still not sure.... The M3 insurance is crazy, I think I know what I will be doing... Keeping my 325 until next september and then moving up from there.... Man, let me give all you guys some advice, never drive an M3 unless you plan on getting one really soon... I HATE MY FRIEND
I guess it depends on your driving record and age when referencing insurance. I got on a multiple policy from All-State and I pay 940.00 every 6 months. Not bad at all for a car like the M3. And that's with rental, etc. Shop around bro!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'm not sure how much you have put into your car but I've put in approximately $24,000 thus far and I still chose the option of parting out and ordering an M3. The way I look at it is although I am going to take a BIG hit parting out and returning to stock, the parts I sell will still get me at least coilovers and rims for the ///M, not to mention I will have the pleasure of having a 2004 brand new car while I'm at it which is almost twice as fast as my car now. Financial loss is inevitable, but if the option is open I recommend you go for it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
why do you wanna get a m3 since you are driving a 3 series now? i know the horses are a big difference between your car and a m3, but no change in interior and some minor changes on exterior wont really give me a motive to trade in a moded 3 series with alot money lost.... although m3 is really nice, i might choose z4 3.0 with superchager instead

·
'a certain moderator'
34,496 Posts
SC it first, then do the 5 speed transplant afterwards. u live in NYC, u will miss the ease of the automatic (get SMG step retrofit to tide u over, plus dinan software)

that would be a nice combo, ur car would be insane!

·
Law Enforcer
2,355 Posts
andy7771 said:
why do you wanna get a m3 since you are driving a 3 series now? i know the horses are a big difference between your car and a m3, but no change in interior and some minor changes on exterior wont really give me a motive to trade in a moded 3 series with alot money lost.... although m3 is really nice, i might choose z4 3.0 with superchager instead
Dude, the 3 series and M3 are two totally different beasts. The interiors are different enough to not look that similar (door panels, seats, steering wheel, interior trim, headliner, etc) besides basic dashboards, carpet, and a few minor things. I wouldn't exactly call the outward appearance minor either. The car is wider all around, different bumpers, fenders, hoods, totally different suspension, etc. You're going to lose money any way you look at it. Cars are never a "good" investment per se! And maybe a Z4 isn't practical for him because it's a 2 seater, and with a supercharger it still might not be as fast as an M3 in any catergory.

·
Registered
154 Posts
M3Inline6 said:

Dude, the 3 series and M3 are two totally different beasts. The interiors are different enough to not look that similar (door panels, seats, steering wheel, interior trim, headliner, etc) besides basic dashboards, carpet, and a few minor things. I wouldn't exactly call the outward appearance minor either. The car is wider all around, different bumpers, fenders, hoods, totally different suspension, etc. You're going to lose money any way you look at it. Cars are never a "good" investment per se! And maybe a Z4 isn't practical for him because it's a 2 seater, and with a supercharger it still might not be as fast as an M3 in any catergory.
if you look at it in details, there are many difference, but honestly, the whole shape between 3 series and m3 is the same, all the changes u mentioned r only minor, ( who cares about the door panel, seats r different, but can ur a$$ feel the difference if u close ur eyes b4 u enter ur car?, too many ppl get carbon fibre trim already, what's so special about the trim m3 has?, etc...)
dude, i'm not comparing a regular 3 series with a m3, look at droptops', it's so nice inside out. u tell me which car will get more attention when u see a stock m3 and a moded 3 series on street?

let's wait and see the s/c for z4, i know ess is making one for manual, auto and smg, and acs is testing one now with 300 hp ( not sure about the torque), i know m3 is fast, but do u know a ess s/ced 330 wont lose that much to it?

·
Registered
850 Posts
M3 I like.:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I'll be getting mine at the end of this month hopefully.

Seriously, not sure how far along you have on paying off your present car. Just save your money and get the M3 after you payoff your car.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts