BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first time I turn the key, I can here something spinning and then slowly stop when I let the key out. Then when I try the second time it works and starts up.

Could something be frozen? It was 8 degrees here this morning and it happened. Happened every very cold morning so far.

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
You are describing a problem with the starter.

When the starter turns on, there is a large electro-magnet that also is energized to push a gear into the flywheel. The gear has a one-way clutch built into it. You are describing either that the magnet is not being energized or that the clutch is slipping because of the cold. This should not require you to buy a new starter, but you will have to take the starter apart to clean its internals. If you are not able to take the starter apart, then you will have to replace it. When the starter is out of the car it can be connected to a battery to test it. If the one-way clutch is the problem, you may be able to spray carburetor or brake cleaner into it, and then replace the cleaner with a few drops of motor oil or other suitable lubricant. A one-way clutch has roller bearings inside that fit into a channel that is cut at an angle, as the starter turns the bearings are forced to tighten their grip and this makes the gear turn. If the gear turns faster than the starter, the one-way clutch allows the gear to spin freely. The bearings can get dirty and gooey, and then the clutch slips in the direction that it is supposed to drive. Cold can cause this to happen.

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
Sounds like a starter drive not engaging or a starter drive slipping.

On an xi I would ONLY install a new Bosch starter, too many hours to replace a problem rebuild. Many rebuild do not replace the starter drive or many of the wear items.

I would record the problem from under the hood so you can prove to someone the engine is not actually turning.

This type of problem does in fact only happen during very cold temperatures, assume you are close to 10F where you are located?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Western PA and it was ranging from 4 degrees to 8 degrees Fahrenheit when it happened. It was a Bosch starter to that was put into it by a well known and trusted indy shop around my area. It was around 8 degrees today and it didn't do it at all.

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
Is the starter "new" or "rebuilt"?

Could be that the grease on the drive is freezing or getting sticky causing the roller clutch to have a problem properly engaging.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was new. Made sure of that. Had too many problems recently in my life with buying rebuilt and refurbished parts... And yea that roller clutch is what jdstrictland mentioned. Not sure if there is anything I can really do about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts