E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, i'm new to the forum and to bmws, i got a bmw e46 automatic as my first car, and i have a couple of questions for you guys. I'd be glad if you could help me!

- When I park on a slightly inclined road and pull the handbrake, i get to sounds or squeaking. But when I come back, start the car, and release the handbrake, and roll a little bit, there's a very loud squeaking sound coming from my rear passenger wheel, but its gone when I roll faster and it never appears again when driving! and it's really annoying me and embarrassing me, it sounds like the car is rolling with my handbrake still pulled! :( and by the way, at right corners, i get a small squeaking sound from the same wheel also.
1 thing also, does it matter if my rear wheels look narrower than the front?

Sorry for writing a lot, and sorry for my bad english! Any help would be appreciated! :) :facepalm:

·
Registered
10,552 Posts
Hello guys, i'm new to the forum and to bmws, i got a bmw e46 automatic as my first car, and i have a couple of questions for you guys. I'd be glad if you could help me!

- When I park on a slightly inclined road and pull the handbrake, i get to sounds or squeaking. But when I come back, start the car, and release the handbrake, and roll a little bit, there's a very loud squeaking sound coming from my rear passenger wheel, but its gone when I roll faster and it never appears again when driving! and it's really annoying me and embarrassing me, it sounds like the car is rolling with my handbrake still pulled! :( and by the way, at right corners, i get a small squeaking sound from the same wheel also.
1 thing also, does it matter if my rear wheels look narrower than the front?

Sorry for writing a lot, and sorry for my bad english! Any help would be appreciated! :) :facepalm:
Your parking brake cable and/or the brake itself is not releasing. Inspecting the service brake is a good idea, but it is on the way to the parking brake, where the real trouble is.

The parking brake works a lot like the brakes on a bicycle, you pull the handle that pulls a cable that moves the brakes. You release the handle and a spring on the brake forces it open and this pulls the cable back. If the cable is dirty, it will hold the brake partly activated, and this is the noise you hear. DO NOT use WD40 in your brake cables. It turns to goo and can actually hold the cable enough to allow the brake to remain actuated.

To get to the parking brake, you must remove the brake rotor, the parking brake lives inside of it.

·
Registered
10,552 Posts
The rear wheels should not be narrower than the front. Tires have the size printed on them in a format that looks like 225/45x17, there can be letters but we only care about the numbers for now. What are the sizes of your tires?

In the example, 225 is the tread width. A 225 is wider than a 205 but not as wide as a 245. The width is millimeters. The width is also not really the tread width, but for the sake of this discussion the definition is close enough. Again in the example, 45 is the percentage of the tread width that describes the sidewall height -- 45% of 225 is 101.5, and this is the distance from the rim to the tread. 17 is the diameter (in inches) of the wheel.

Some 3 Series cars have what is called a staggered fitment, this is where the rear tires are wider than the front. If this is true, then the front tires might be 225/45x17 while the rear tires are 245/40x17. When this is true, the rear wheels (rims) are wider than the front.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your parking brake cable and/or the brake itself is not releasing. Inspecting the service brake is a good idea, but it is on the way to the parking brake, where the real trouble is.

The parking brake works a lot like the brakes on a bicycle, you pull the handle that pulls a cable that moves the brakes. You release the handle and a spring on the brake forces it open and this pulls the cable back. If the cable is dirty, it will hold the brake partly activated, and this is the noise you hear. DO NOT use WD40 in your brake cables. It turns to goo and can actually hold the cable enough to allow the brake to remain actuated.

To get to the parking brake, you must remove the brake rotor, the parking brake lives inside of it.
Thank you very much! Gonna check and tell you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts