E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase this (http://www.modbargains.com/Carbon-Fiber-M3-GTR-Style-Hood-BMW-E46.htm) CF hood for my E46 M3 vert. My concern is the site does not explicitly say if it does or does not fit a convertible. Are the two interchangeable and does anyone have any experience with this hood in particular?

Also, how difficult is the install? I'm not the most mechanically savvy, so if it's reasonably difficult, I'd have to take it in to get it done. Any idea on how much something like this would cost?

·
Registered
579 Posts
I'm sure your m3 hood is lighter than that cf hood

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
its supposed to be 15 for the CF and 32 for stock.

I'm mostly doing this for cosmetics. I purchased my M with quite a few rock chips up front and from what I've been told, they're bad enough that the hood would need a full repaint to not look like crap. My thinking is rather than paying a few hundred toward paint, I could put an extra few toward a sexy new hood.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Find a vorsteiner hood. Done

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's at least 1000 more :thumbdown:

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
579 Posts
Its the best fitment by far from what I read. Unless you wanna go the cheaper route and take the chance that it might not sit flush. Remember, you get what you pay for

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I am looking to purchase this (http://www.modbargains.com/Carbon-Fiber-M3-GTR-Style-Hood-BMW-E46.htm) CF hood for my E46 M3 vert. My concern is the site does not explicitly say if it does or does not fit a convertible. Are the two interchangeable and does anyone have any experience with this hood in particular?

Also, how difficult is the install? I'm not the most mechanically savvy, so if it's reasonably difficult, I'd have to take it in to get it done. Any idea on how much something like this would cost?
I've yet to see an aftermarket (especially CF) hood that fits anywhere near as well as OEM.
My suggestion is to paint yours if it's that bad.
Any one ever try that DrColorChip stuff?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
they are both the same, i have a VIS GTR hood, i had to cut the vents open and my body shop guy had to add a little filler on the side, but it fits just like OEM, but if you could get your hands on a vorsteiner one, dont hesitate snatch it! now if you can find a trunk for our verts that are CSL, let me know!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Thank you, someone that actually answered the question! I love how everyone has an opinion, yet not an answer. :banghead:
Knot in your britches, eh?
Sorry, I did not know the answer to the specific question, but I tried to offer some guidance and insight that I thought would help in your decision process. :banghead:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks a lot for the info. I'm thinking I'm going to hold off through the summer and paint. I've got some interior mods to do first :)

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Knot in your britches, eh?
Sorry, I did not know the answer to the specific question, but I tried to offer some guidance and insight that I thought would help in your decision process. :banghead:
Why people reply when they don't know the answer is beyond me. If you like to read your own words, start a blog.

I'm a new owner and share the OP's frustration with searching only to find a bunch of worthless opinions and no answers.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Why people reply when they don't know the answer is beyond me. If you like to read your own words, start a blog.

I'm a new owner and share the OP's frustration with searching only to find a bunch of worthless opinions and no answers.
Dear newbe Taylor.
You ain't sharing sheet with the OP. I don't see where the OP was frustrated - can you point that post out to me?

I don't see where you provided an answer to his question. can you point that post out to me too?

Why was my on subject comment and suggestion worthless, and your post, that did not address the subject at all, not?

You are only here two months and you are already frustrated? I suggest a Chill pill or two, with a whole glass of water, before you go to bed.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you posted this in the General Forum you would get-

"Dont buy a hood, its dumb, rebuild your cooling system since its OBVIOUSLY bad, then do a bunch of other crap.....etc"

I hear ya on all the opinions but no answers

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Dear newbe Taylor.
You ain't sharing sheet with the OP. I don't see where the OP was frustrated - can you point that post out to me?

I don't see where you provided an answer to his question. can you point that post out to me too?

Why was my on subject comment and suggestion worthless, and your post, that did not address the subject at all, not?

You are only here two months and you are already frustrated? I suggest a Chill pill or two, with a whole glass of water, before you go to bed.
It is common courtesy to thank someone for providing info you appreciate. I see that is lost on you.

Carry on your rant, its easy to identify the worthless members to ignore this way. :thumbup:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you, someone that actually answered the question! I love how everyone has an opinion, yet not an answer. :banghead:
I 2nd this. Thanks for the info gheybe! Btw, is it gabe...or gay-be (like a gay baby, referencing bruno)?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.