E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Fanatics,

2005 330ci ZHP with 108,200 miles. Just replaced my fuel pump with a VDO one from rockauto at 107850 miles. The original one died in a fairly weird (to me) fashion - wouldn't prime sometimes, then wouldn't prime at all and would crank forever but would still start, then one time I filled the tank and drove it home and it didn't start the next morning. This differs from the posts I read about people who have sputtering pumps, etc.

After the pump replacement, it started right up. I filled it up for the first time since pump replacement yesterday and drove to dinner. Started ok after dinner, then went to a friend's house, and after it sat for an hour I went to start it and it turned on then immediately died. Started it a second time and it turned on and died. Wasn't responsive to throttle input during this time and would die even if I floored it. Started a third time and giving it gas worked, and it stayed running. Pump might've sounded louder than usual but not sure. I originally diagnosed the stalling on start to a camshaft position sensor which I'm glad I didn't order.

Drove it home, parked it, and it won't start today. Pulled the plug to the pump, 12 volts on 2nd position and ~11.5 when cranking at the plug. This theoretically should bypass me having to look at the fuse and relays, right? Video attached for entertainment purposes.

Anyone have a pump die so soon? What should/may I want to look at for why my E46 is a fuel pump serial killer? Is there any relevance to the fact 2 pumps have died after a full tank?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 330xi, Jet Black w Black Interior
95 Posts
I just replaced mine with a Bosch from FCP Euro. Been working like a champ.

·
Registered
2004 325xi, 2000 323ci, 2012 135i
40 Posts
Also, if you have not replaced the fuel filter already it probably is not a bad idea. A clean fuel filter can prolong the life of a new fuel pump. Fuel pumps like having good flow.

Your situation however sounds like a defective pump out of the box.

·
Registered
11,701 Posts
Swap the fuel pump relay with the horn relay. Yes, yes, you have the correct voltage but remember electric motors run on watts. A watt is 1 volt pushing 1 amp of current.

·
Registered
2004 330i
7,443 Posts
Vdo should be legit ,different source now ?

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,839 Posts
Every now and then a quality brand can suffer a premature failure. I find this a little more so since the advent of Covid and the multitude of issues that surround all of that..,. :mad:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, if you have not replaced the fuel filter already it probably is not a bad idea. A clean fuel filter can prolong the life of a new fuel pump. Fuel pumps like having good flow.

Your situation however sounds like a defective pump out of the box.
Fuel filter was just replaced. Fuel coming out was nearly black but it was the original fuel filter. Vent line was in good condition. Based on what I saw in the tank it doesn’t have a bunch of debris in it.

When I go put the new pump in I’ll need to check the screen feet on the failed pump but I expect them to be nice and white and clean.

Hard to believe it might’ve been a defective pump because it did work for a few days but I’m hoping it was just

Swap the fuel pump relay with the horn relay. Yes, yes, you have the correct voltage but remember electric motors run on watts. A watt is 1 volt pushing 1 amp of current.
I’ll have to do this later. I attempted to do this the first pump failure but when I removed the glovebox, footwell light piece, and undid the 2 10mm screws holding the white plastic grid with the relays in it in, I couldn’t get the relay panel to come down within reach.

Have you been in the relays before? Any tips to what I might be missing to get the relays accessible would be appreciated. Or if I just need to try to get at it in its current position I could try that too.

thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts