E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have some sort of water leaks in the doors, where I can see small drips of water that come out at the very bottom of the plastic door panel.

I had the shop check/reseal the front vapor barriers, and even after there is still some water dripping from that area.

I'm a little stumped but my question is - HOW does the water coming out in that area get into carpets as many people on here say it does? On mine after a heavy rain those drips were there, but they work down the metal part of the door and fall down on the rocker panel, so there is a decent amount of water on the door sill when you open the door, but that is where ALL the water from the doors goes anyway even when it drains "correctly" from the bottom door drains.

My carpets were wet a few weeks ago, but after this recent test they are dry, and I'm wondering whether my earlier wetness was just from a whole winter's worth of snow and ice that was tracked in/melted/frozen/remelted/more tracked in/etc that never really had a chance to dry out between November and March.

So when water leaks out the bottom of the plastic part of the door, I don't see how it makes its way down into the carpet on the inside like is mentioned on so many other threads. It seems like it naturally just gets down to the door sill/rocker. Does anybody know?

I was sure that my earlier wetness was from vapor barriers, but now I have a sealed vapor barrier but still have dripping doors, :hmm: but also have dry carpets - so now I'm completely confused. :hmm::hmm:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The vapor barrier is sealed to the door using a black sticky patch type material. If someone removed the vapor barrier previously (i.e., to work on a window regulator), it is possible they didn't seal it back very well. Also, the door panel is attached to the door with clips that have like a neoprene washer, sometimes those break or get lost, and water can come in that way. In my case, I found my problem to be bad inner door seals, which I replaced ($50 each). Start with the easy stuff first, go on from there.

Good luck.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The vapor barrier is sealed to the door using a black sticky patch type material. If someone removed the vapor barrier previously (i.e., to work on a window regulator), it is possible they didn't seal it back very well. Also, the door panel is attached to the door with clips that have like a neoprene washer, sometimes those break or get lost, and water can come in that way. In my case, I found my problem to be bad inner door seals, which I replaced ($50 each). Start with the easy stuff first, go on from there.

Good luck.
Thanks. I fully understand the vapor barriers (they are attached with butyl tape/3M Windo-Weld works too).

I guess my question was that now I'm confused because I still get the door leak at the bottom of the plastic panel BUT MY CARPETS ARE DRY. (Which is a good thing!)

So while I'm crossing fingers that they stay dry now, I'm just trying to educate myself. Looking at the bottom of the door last night, I just couldn't figure out how EVEN IF WATER IS LEAKING from the bottom of the plastic door panel, (whether because of vapor barrier/door clip or other reason), how it actually makes its way over into the carpet???? It seems like it would have to somehow jump out from the door and over onto the carpet, since its normal path when emerging from the bottom of the plastic panel is to head down the metal door and then drip onto the lower door sill/rocker panel. Which is the same place where the water goes when it comes out the "right way" through the door drains. From there, I don't see how it could ever make its way back up and over and then back into the passenger compartment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts