BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So a short time ago i take my car to the mechanic for the VANOS service and put in timing the engine, first we use an aftermarket tool for the timing but didn't work, after a few minutes of driving i get the B8 and B9 timing codes and a check engine light and the car it felt somewhat irresponsive, later in another shop they use the OEM BMW tool and the car was on timing, the car feels more responsive and free on the RPM's but the codes showed again but in this case was after days of driving the car but the cars feels right is only the Change engine light that bothers me.

I already replaced the following:
  1. VANOS Seals
  2. Selenoid Coilpack from Beisan systems.
  3. VANOS Oil pump disk

Currently i have the following codes:

50 switch chain, frictional connection
B8 function, intake vanos Timing
B9 function, exhaust vanos Timing

In advance thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would check the VANOS oil pressure. Some with the newer beisan disc have been having issues:

Other than that I would recheck mechanical timing

If you have access to DIS you can do the VANOS test.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
4,972 Posts
Other than that I would recheck mechanical timing

THIS, the 2nd. photo (Unsure if the engine was @ TDC #1?) is out of time. Both locating pins should drop in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
why did you needed timing done?
to do VANOS you dont need to deal with timing, just dont touch those two Splined shaft and you´re ok.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why did you needed timing done?
to do VANOS you dont need to deal with timing, just dont touch those two Splined shaft and you´re ok.
The previous owner rebuild the engine, but the timing never has been correct

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
The pics don't help as the cams are not verified to be timed with crank set at TDC. OP needs to verify this. Improperly timed can lead to piston hitting valves.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The pics don't help as the cams are not verified to be timed with crank set at TDC. OP needs to verify this. Improperly timed can lead to piston hitting valves.
Correct. Crank need to be at TDC and the large wrench used to make sure cams are fully retarded.

OP i would check the mechanical timing. Checking to see if its off is pretty easy. Fixing it if its off is more difficult.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts