E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a surveilance unit in their vehicle to monitor vandalism, etc. when they are at work/out?

I lead a pretty simple life. I purchased the BMW to get me to work which is primarily where I go. When I'm home the car is garaged.

I began noticing 'accidental' door dings and stuff. Now I have at least 3 key marks, a broken roundel on the hood and a divet in the trunk.

I park further away, like the back of the lot where no cars would possibly park and these things still happen.

A 2-way camera would be ideal. I found one for $220, but it doesn't seem to be able to record for very long. The car is going to be in a 'fairly active' parking lot, so a motion sensor would be triggered pretty often. I can purchase some extra SD cards and swap them out at lunch, but Im worried about battery duration.

For a one-way solution I found this CamBall thing, but I do not see a lot of reviews on it. I'd also seen one that wires into the car for power.

A discreet solution is necessary so as to be able to get the evidence.

I don't want to spend 1000$ on this. The idea is to save money by not having to repair paint, etc. all the time. And once I file a police report hopefully these things will decrease in frequency.

Before reinventing the wheel I thought I'd ask here as there seem to be a lot of good advice.

I searched the forum, but did not see anything directly related to this topic. Hopefully we can have a good conversation.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
subscribing

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've seen these cameras that mount on the side mirrors and can clearly capture anyone who keys your car. I'm looking for the link now

EDIT: Yeah I can't find the link, but basically it's two cameras that are motion activated and that mount on each side mirror. The system caught some old guy who liked to key hummers in Texas a few years back.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
I don't know if you can use this in your application, but a "Game Camera" might workout & they're cheap.

I bought this from Amazon several months ago for other reasons, it works quite well. If you buy any type of game camera, make sure it has an infrared flash.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PVGA1O/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

Good luck,
Rob

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I have the same issues, seems everywhere you park someone wants to mess with you bimmer. from a stratch to a ding to moving your sideview mirrors.
Im getting to the point where id like to park and "appear to leave", but hang out and watch the car. Would love to see who is messing with it; especially in my routine parking places.
but the camera is def good evidence, you cant dispute a video/pic!

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
I have the same issues, seems everywhere you park someone wants to mess with you bimmer. from a stratch to a ding to moving your sideview mirrors.
Im getting to the point where id like to park and "appear to leave", but hang out and watch the car. Would love to see who is messing with it; especially in my routine parking places.
but the camera is def good evidence, you cant dispute a video/pic!
doesnt matter. people even ding my car when I am sitting in it! yep, people are just that ignorant.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the feedback.. I'm sifting through the dash-camera thread trying to pick out the flame war. I'm also checking out the Game Cam.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I'm going to pull the trigger on something this week and I'll update you with the install, etc..

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
When I had my Audi people dinged it left and right in the park-and-ride and the metro parking garage. As far as i know nobody gives a second glance to my old, ugly e46.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I don't park-and-ride. I have an individual who is deliberately doing things to vandalize my automobile and I need a picture of them doing it.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
When I had my Audi people dinged it left and right in the park-and-ride and the metro parking garage. As far as i know nobody gives a second glance to my old, ugly e46.
well then maybe you should get a nice looking E46, not all of them look or run good; it always depends on the taste of the owner.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I don't park-and-ride. I have an individual who is deliberately doing things to vandalize my automobile and I need a picture of them doing it.
Park in the park n ride, sit in between some cars or behind a tree or something and take a photo if somebody is really vandalizing your car. Then approach them after you take the photo, call the police. Try and get their name first though, because if the run all you have is a picture but no identification to go along with it.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
well then maybe you should get a nice looking E46, not all of them look or run good; it always depends on the taste of the owner.
Some of my coworkers think I drive a new BMW. The exterior looks wonderful when it is clean and parked. So, alternatively you should get a nice looking e46.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Some of my coworkers think I drive a new BMW. The exterior looks wonderful when it is clean and parked. So, alternatively you should get a nice looking e46.
I never tried to be condesending to the OP by calling my E46 old and ugly as you have; mine runs and looks excellent. BTW, its interesting how it went from looking "old and ugly" to ""a new bmw... looks wonderful" after my comment. Hahaha youre a easy guy to get to; even the 16 year old come back was least than amusing. GL

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Uhm....what about a web cam?

My friend has been using one for years to monitor his front yard and driveway. He has it set to record at night and he can view the video feed during the day at his office computer miles away. Cheap and easy. And webcams are now so advanced that you can program them to be motion activated or to start recording when motion is active in the vicinity (for instance someone enters your yard).

Not really rocket science or magic here but it can be found on Google.

Also you can buy those low light pen cameras that run for a few hours on rechargeable batteries and save a few hours of footage. I've seen them on either Detective/Spy websites or the Chinese sellers on eBay.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
doesnt matter. people even ding my car when I am sitting in it! yep, people are just that ignorant.
tell me about it! The other day I was sitting in my car and a car pulls up next to me and the next thing you know I hear TWO bangs, both the driver and the driver's side rear door hits my car!:censor:
I posted a thread a while ago about a dash cameras, and someone replied with this link, although you can't see what's going around you can see what's going on in front..http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77654432

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Yup, this happened to me in my DD Honda....bltch said, "I got insurance" and just left. I waited till she was out of sight and wedged a couple sharp nails under her tires for when she backed out. I hate inconsiderate people....

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I never tried to be condesending to the OP by calling my E46 old and ugly as you have; mine runs and looks excellent. BTW, its interesting how it went from looking "old and ugly" to ""a new bmw... looks wonderful" after my comment. Hahaha youre a easy guy to get to; even the 16 year old come back was least than amusing. GL
Alright buddy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts