BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I removed the valve cover for my valve adjustment, several studs came off with the bolts. The last one that I put back in snapped off. I tried using HF bolt extractor, but I must not have been going in as straight as I thought and one side of the stud fell apart. Any thoughts on how to get the rest out? Is it time to call a pro? I am dying to get my vert back on the road to enjoy this beautiful weather!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
The drill bit already touched the soft Al head. This become tricky now.
Q: what was your plan when you decide to drill it? Drill it out require precise center.
I suggest to call a pro at your skill level.

The valve cover nut should not be over tighten -- it won't help stop oil leaking as soon as the seal was compressed and the nut touching the sleeve. what torque spec did you use?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My plan was to drill out from the center and was clearly not where I thought it was and then I got off balance while drilling and that's when I went to the side. Clearly beyond my skill level for sure.

I set the wrench to 7.5 ft/lb, so either I had the wrong spec or the calibration is not correct. I hand tightened them first until I couldn't go further and was going back to torque them. Will have the shop check the other ones when I have them fix my mishap.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
7.5 ft lbs sounds correct. Maybe the stud was weaken when over torqued by hand before.
Those studs should be Loctie to the head so they won't back out. One reason they back out during valve cover removal is because the nuts was over torqued on the cover.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts