BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking my car in next week for the 60,000 mile service and my mechanic recommended that I have the valve cover gasket changed when I get the service done. He said that this is a week point and it will prevent oil leaks in the future. Has any one else heard of this or had this done?
Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
my dad owns a machine shop where all the do is rebuild engines and cylinder heads so if you want a good price on the gasket set let me know ill ask him to get it,..

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Did the replacement myself on my ae86 -not very hard nor expensive, they shouldn’t charge you a lot for it. As to doing it at 60k well that’s being very preventative - you’ll be fine if you do it later at say 100k.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You'll need some Three Bond 1209 or equivalent. Get a TIS document to see where to put it. Mine started leaking at about 60k.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I may just tackle this one myself over the weekend. Any one have a link to some "Do It Your Self" instructions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If it isn't leaking, don't bother with it until 100K...that's money better spent elsewhere. At 60K, you'd be well advised to flush brake fluid, engine coolant, differential oil, and trans oil / filter.

FYI, my dealer recently charged my brother $275 to do a valve cover gasket on his 530 (same basic job as on the E46), but he didn't care since he was being reimbursed for it (long story).

-Doug

1 - 9 of 9 Posts