BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Threaded Studs (11121718856) have been ordered; Cap Nuts (11121738608) have been salvaged- using a small screw driver I was able to thread-out broken studs. Props to my mechanic for this trick; & I have the proper torque settings.

Now my *final* question:
Gasket has been sitting on car for 2 days now with the (Red RTV High Temperature) silicone, do I have to remove and add new RTV or am I OK just torquing it down?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@WDE46: Since this is a whole new question I decided to start a different thread. The original thread was regarding torque and titled wrong (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=976545)
My new questions is "do I have to remove" the old silicone or not.

@dwsounddesign: Nothing is torqued down at the moment, just loosely hand tightened.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Personally, yes, I would. The idea is to have the RTV fully set with the VCG properly compressed to compensate for odd areas like sharp edges or gaps. It sounds like it didn't.

·
Registered
14,044 Posts
RTV needs to cure after torquing. Where did you apply RTV? Did you torque the rest of the bolts around the outside? If so, then the outside gasket RTV is fine. If you put RTV in an area and then let it cure without torquing the surrounding bolts, you should do it again.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
This is just stupid talk.
You remove the old gasket, clean both mating surfaces very well, and apply the silicone only in the half moon areas. Period.
Do you put on a suit after working on your car without a shower?

·
Registered
14,044 Posts
This is just stupid talk.
You remove the old gasket, clean both mating surfaces very well, and apply the silicone only in the half moon areas. Period.
Do you put on a suit after working on your car without a shower?
I think you misinterpreted. It's not as stupid as you think. OP put on a new gasket. He then overtorqued a nut and broke a stud. The new gasket sat on the head with the new RTV for a while and without being torqued down. At least that's my understanding.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are 100% correct. :) Threaded stud is in the mail. Thanks for the comments guys I will remove today and clean off old RTV. I'm assuming that will just peel off.

I think you misinterpreted. It's not as stupid as you think. OP put on a new gasket. He then overtorqued a nut and broke a stud. The new gasket sat on the head with the new RTV for a while and without being torqued down. At least that's my understanding.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
You are 100% correct. :) Threaded stud is in the mail. Thanks for the comments guys I will remove today and clean off old RTV. I'm assuming that will just peel off.
yes, very easily. You need to remove everything to remove the stud, so just do the job over. GL

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
The rtv you sprayed on the gasket won't come off easily...not that I recall. If you sprayed the gasket, I think you'll be fine spraying it again...making sure the head surface is clean...adding ultra black (or another tube rtv) to the half moons and where vanos meets head)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used my finger and dabbed it on the half moons

1 - 13 of 13 Posts