E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, Currently I am trying to replace my valve cover gasket because it is leaking. I have removed every one of the vcg bolts except for the far left bolt. It will not budge, and on top of that, it is very difficult to get to. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
169 Posts
It is tricky to get to. One of those flex/knuckle socket adapters helps.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Did you remove the cabin filter housing? Did mine last summer but don't remember having any trouble with the rear ones with the filter housing removed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I did remove the cabin filter housing. The issue was my 10mm socket was just barely stripped enough to slip every time I cranked down on it. So I went to my hardware store and spend $2 on a 10mm socket. Then it easily came right off.

Now my issue is, when I went to torque down the valve cover screws one of the cylinder head bolts snapped into the valve cover cap nut. I didn't even apply the full 89pound inches, but it snapped. AutoZone told me that they didn't carry these bolts but redirected me to my local bmw dealership for the quickest fix. The dealership isn't open on Sunday otherwise I would have already called them.

If anyone is looking for these same parts, here are the part #'s

Valve cover securing nut - 11121738607
Threaded cylinder head study - 11121718856

Thanks for the replies. I will update this thread after I get it figured out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts