E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2000 323i
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today while doing valve cover gasket noticed that I have 3 cracks in my valve cover.
I tried to find used one, but unfortunately no one around me have one and new one costs a lot.
So I'm now thinking about repairing my cover. What would be best option? Weld cracks together? Or use some strong epoxy? Or maybe weld and epoxy together?

Attachments

· Administrator
2013 X1 M-sport
21,972 Posts
High temperature oil safe epoxy such as JB Weld, or a good gasket sealer will seal the cracks, but more may form later.

There is a cheaper chinese made aluminum valve cover some have tried.

There is also the M56 SULEV engine aluminum valve cover retrofit that some like.

· Registered
2000 323i
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
High temperature oil safe epoxy such as JB Weld, or a good gasket sealer will seal the cracks, but more may form later.

There is a cheaper chinese made aluminum valve cover some have tried.

There is also the M56 SULEV engine aluminum valve cover retrofit that some like.
I have Victor Reinz sealer which I bought for gasket. Would that work?

· Registered
2,410 Posts
Place on a flat surface and see if it rocks - it is does - it is warped. There should be "seems" in your post - either it is or it isn't and "seems" signifies you probably didn't actually check to make sure it isn't warped.

Frankly - with the cracks and propensity of the cover to warp - I would replace it.

· Registered
4,011 Posts
^ This.

Most other epoxies have a temp rating of 1000 degrees. I used to assemble golf clubs and basic epoxy is all that holds the head to the shaft. It takes a propane torch and a few minutes to get the hosel hot enough before the epoxy bond will break.

But use JB Weld anyway if replacement isn't an option for you.

· Registered
2005 325xi T
234 Posts
hot iron method only works if you melt half way through, then melt other side half way through. takes practice, so don't attempt unless you have a spare valve cover already. a successful weld will leave deep scar, so you might want to fill that in with plastic meted in with precision heat gun, or epoxy putty such as jb weld.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts