BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing my VCG today and when removing the cover bolts, three of them seem to have brought the stud with them. This isn't mormal I assume so my question is should I just reinstall them that way or attempt to separate them first?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
OK, never-mind. I was able to separate them far easier than I thought I could with a pair of 10mm open end wrenches and my foot.

I'm doing the VCG again after a PO had it done by a shop just 33,000 (5+ years) miles ago. The reason being was that the center VCG bolts were all seeping oil. Every channel under every spark plug had oil in it. The spark plugs themselves were completely free of any oil however. My guess is that the shop that did this job replaced just the VCG itself and not the center gaskets or the the rubber washers. I replaced them all of course. My PO was a freaking idiot that just kept adding oil as he thought necessary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Even if you were unable to set them apart you could have just put them back in as they were. Would have just been like a slightly longer bolt.
I have one bolt on my centre gasket which I cannot get apart (and I don't want to force it too much so it gets damaged) so that comes out as one and goes back in as one. Never had any issues.

Just don't over tighten, I learnt the hard way. Luckily just means getting a new bold from BMW and replacing.

FWIW - and for the hassle of few £s here in the UK I went with dealer gasket. As the previous non OE gasket gave me 1000 miles before leaking oil.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FWIW - and for the hassle of few £s here in the UK I went with dealer gasket. As the previous non OE gasket gave me 1000 miles before leaking oil.
I went with a Reinz Gasket Set as all the reviews I read were great. Not sure what brand I took off but I am sure that the mechanic that installed it was an idiot.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,130 Posts
When confronted with VC studs that pull with the nut, we separate and loctite them back into the head.
Over-torquing the nuts and NOT replacing the seals (they're fully collapsed) IMO is the #1 reason the studs pull out.

I gave up on Reinz gaskets 5 years ago owing to a higher than acceptable comeback rate.
We only use dealer sourced genuine. Made by Bruss, Goetze or Mahle. (not Meyle)

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Over-torquing the nuts and NOT replacing the seals (they're fully collapsed) IMO is the #1 reason the studs pull out.
That makes sense and I'm certain that is what the shop that did this job 33k miles did.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts