E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Buy new rubber seal, a gasket kit and replace it. if your CCV is not working and clogged/blocked, the crank case pressure will push oil out of the valve cover, front main seal and rear main seal.

These cars need every rubber seal and o-ring replaced at 20+ years old.
what would be the best way to check if your CCV system is functioning properly? other that smoke testing

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Each one of those bolts has its own little sealer/rubber washer that goes on them. On top of that, the bolt itself could be so corroded it could allow seapage that way too. Change them both and let me know! I don't know if you've already done that or not don't have time to read every reply right now.

I would bet my last dollar he didn't replace them. Probably put same bolt with same seal right back on. They are little black rubber washers basically. You can buy them cheap. I would start with that boss. Before going nuts and thinking the world is falling. You can also buy the bolts too. I did. They were a little expensive each one but shop around. I paid about 3 bucks each. I can't remember. The rubber washers for those bolts are very cheap.

I did valve cover gasket recently and all is great. Then, my dam battery went down. Before that, the dam oxygen sensor was smoking like hell. I can't even get it off and will start a thread about that.

So, bro, start with those little rubber washers. There is a likelihood those were put on at the same time as the valve cover gasket way back when, and when he had this done recently he didn't change them. Good chance those have a similar lifespan as the valve cover gasket.

Buy some, put them on, and see if it still leaks. I don't know the exact term of what they are called just find out. If you can't I will link you some okay. Check back with me and let me know if that stops the problem.
Eventually Im gonna do a complete valve cover gasket replacement the proper way. but for now i’ve tried pulling out the rubber washer and cleaning it well(as instructed by someone from this thread), installing it back, and torquing it. and that seems like it stopped the leak, atleast for now.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts