BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new guy, just posted my "this is me" post in the Introductions section, now posting a question:

I'm replacing a bunch of bolt-on stuff (pulley tensioner, water pump, underdrive pulleys, thermostat, valve cover gasket) right now, and ran into a problem. When tighting the frontmost-top valve cover bolt, the one next to the engine lift bracket, after threading it with my fingers, without applying any torque beyond simple hand rotating on a 6" mini-wrench, it (yep) sheared off. All the other bolts are on fine and seem okay. I didnt' get anywhere near the 8 ft-lbs that it's supposed to be torqued to, and all the others got to 8 ft-lbs fine.

How do you extract the broken bolt (which protudes upwards from under a lock nut)? Will just removing the lock nut let you back the bolt out and install a new one, or is the access to these bolts more complex? If it's easy, and I have to remove my valve cover again anyway, I'll just go ahead and replace all of them, since I've read that other people have this happen too... but it's damn annoying as I wanted to have the engine running tonight! Weak metal + years of heat cycling + basic maintenance = :censor:

I'd appreciate any guidance here... I'm proceding with the installation of the other parts I'm replacing, but this issue is holding up 1+ hours of reinstallation work. I'll check this forum frequently for the next 24 hours and may reply pretty quickly. Thank you!

~H4mmerDown

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hello, new guy, just posted my "this is me" post in the Introductions section, now posting a question:

I'm replacing a bunch of bolt-on stuff (pulley tensioner, water pump, underdrive pulleys, thermostat, valve cover gasket) right now, and ran into a problem. When tighting the frontmost-top valve cover bolt, the one next to the engine lift bracket, after threading it with my fingers, without applying any torque beyond simple hand rotating on a 6" mini-wrench, it (yep) sheared off. All the other bolts are on fine and seem okay. I didnt' get anywhere near the 8 ft-lbs that it's supposed to be torqued to, and all the others got to 8 ft-lbs fine.

How do you extract the broken bolt (which protudes upwards from under a lock nut)? Will just removing the lock nut let you back the bolt out and install a new one, or is the access to these bolts more complex? If it's easy, and I have to remove my valve cover again anyway, I'll just go ahead and replace all of them, since I've read that other people have this happen too... but it's damn annoying as I wanted to have the engine running tonight! Weak metal + years of heat cycling + basic maintenance = :censor:

I'd appreciate any guidance here... I'm proceding with the installation of the other parts I'm replacing, but this issue is holding up 1+ hours of reinstallation work. I'll check this forum frequently for the next 24 hours and may reply pretty quickly. Thank you!

~H4mmerDown
I think it is 6Lbs-Feet.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just use a ratchet and a ??mm head, and back the "lock nut" out. You wil find that the lock nut is part of the screw, and it will all come out together. Order a new one, and reinstall.
That's what I did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts