E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did my valve adjustment over the last 2 evenings. It went pretty smooth and took about 5 hours to complete. I have been putting off doing it because I haven’t wanted to dig into the engine but now that I have done it, it really isn’t a big deal and would have no problem performing another one.

Some quick thoughts:
- Not that I wanted to do this but - I am not sure how people are adjusting to the “low” side. I found that there was really only one “right” shim for each valve. It will get it in spec but the next size smaller or larger will put it out of spec.
- You don’t need a special 32 mm fan wrench to rotate the engine just use that adjustable Cresent you have in the tool box it will work fine and save you a few $
- Buy some extra copper washers for the oil line to the head. I dropped my new ones when putting it back together. I’m guessing they are in the belly tray.
- Don’t get in a hurry.
- This is a nice feeler gauge kit to use: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00940802000P?prdNo=12&blockNo=12&blockType=G12

My results:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too hard to tell it has been in hibernation all winter and my ears' memory isn't that good.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has the mm right on there. You basically have three each for intake and exhaust. One around nominal and one at each end of the tolerance. I looked through a lot of posts but didn't see anyone recommend an actual set of gauges. These worked great, are readily available, and priced decent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts