E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone familiar with doing valve adjustments try the "jackup the rear and rotate the wheels in gear" method to turn the crank? I'm curious as it seems there is some risk (albeit minor) in using the fan clutch to turn the engine backwards.

Also, what are your opinions on the ECS (75% less https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembl...-adjustment-kit-with-gaskets/83300493743~kt2/) vs OEM (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/s54-valve-adjustment-kit/83300493743~kt/) shim kit?

Finally, is there a shop or individual in the Hampton Roads / Virginia Beach area that could help? I'm looking for anything from "bring my car in and leave it overnight" to "provide beer (or any other libation) and food to a pair of hands"

·
Registered
201 Posts
Anyone familiar with doing valve adjustments try the "jackup the rear and rotate the wheels in gear" method to turn the crank? I'm curious as it seems there is some risk (albeit minor) in using the fan clutch to turn the engine backwards.
:eek: Really? Are you going to have someone watch to make sure that the valve lobes are in exactly the right spot for all the measurements that need to be taken? Or are you going to run back and forth between the rear wheels and the engine each time?
IMO so much easier to do it the right way -- removing the fan and using a ratchet on the crank. If you can do a valve adjustment, you can easily handle removing the shrouds and fan.

As for the kits, some people do ok with non-OE gaskets. I am a believer that for gaskets, only Genuine BMW is the way to go. I really don't care if Elring is the OEM for them or not. But that's just my opinion.

The Wiseco shims are fine. Someone on m3f did hardness testing, and found Wiseco, BMW, and Hot Cams were more or less the same.
You also might want to get two shim kits, or at least a couple refills. The kits only come with 3 shims per size. I'm glad I had two on hand, as I needed four extra shims of one of the sizes (can't remember which). You can also get them from amazon if you're inclined.

I would also recommend angled feeler gauges instead of straight ones. I got Snap On Blue Points direct from SO for a decent price.

Hope that helps

·
Vendor
11,259 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Wiseco shims, simply put they are fantastic and are nice on the wallet.

As for the turning the rear wheels, it'll be easier to just pull the fan and use a wrench to turn the crank, once the plugs are out of the engine it turns over very easily.

-James

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all - I'm going to pull the fan as suggested. Quick question - do you know the OEM brand for the valve cover gasket? I'm reading conflicting reports on whether it's Elring or Victor Reinz.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts