E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like there is a blowing sound coming from under the engine cover, or maybe the back of the motor, I changed my fuel injectors and ever since I changed them it’s been making this sucking/ blowing sound, like a lot of air coming out of a small hose or something. I’m thinking it might be a vacuum hose, but I don’t remember seeing any hoes’ under the engine cover when I took it off last. oh the sound is pretty loud too if that matters, someone told me it might be like a crank case ventilator or something.

·
The G.O.A.T. is Baccckkkkk!
3,862 Posts
I've had the engine cover off quite a few times and never noticed anything like what your describing :hmm:

·
ASA NO MO
2,196 Posts
They are made out of cheap plastic, make sure one didnt crack. Try listening with the engine covers off.

Keep in mind that a slight hissing sound is normal.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
crispvx said:
They are made out of cheap plastic, make sure one didnt crack. Try listening with the engine covers off.

Keep in mind that a slight hissing sound is normal.
everything looks fine,.. i dont see any hoses

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you remove your oil filler cap and you hear a funny noise coming from it and the car idles rough, chances are your cyclone separator (crankcase vent) is bad

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bimmertc33 said:
If you remove your oil filler cap and you hear a funny noise coming from it and the car idles rough, chances are your cyclone separator (crankcase vent) is bad
where is the crank case vent located

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's located under the intake manifold, to the left of the throttle body. It's not really visible without moving the engine harness and the throttle boby, there are four hoses connected to it, one from the valve cover (front of engine valve cover), one from the dip stick, a small 1/4" vacumm hose and another that goes to the intake manifold. The vapors from the engine (via valve cover and dip stick) are routed back into the engine to be burnt again (via the intake manifold), the diaphram in this separator does brake and creates a vacumm leak, in some cases the excessive passing of oil will soften the hoses, There was a bulletin that was sent to the dealers about this, I will try and get it and post it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2000 323i with 150k. There is a whistling noise from the intake area when I accelerate while driving. When parked, when I accelerate it sounds like an intake vacum leak. I took my car to my mechanic and he tried to find the leak by spraying brake parts cleaner but he could not find it.
I have two additional problems that might be related to this leak:
When I pump gas, the pump stops every 5-10 seconds indicating a pressure issue inside my gas tank and also I have a Service Engine Soon light on with "EVAP small leak detected" code.

Any additional info on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bimmertc33 said:
It's located under the intake manifold, to the left of the throttle body. It's not really visible without moving the engine harness and the throttle boby, there are four hoses connected to it, one from the valve cover (front of engine valve cover), one from the dip stick, a small 1/4" vacumm hose and another that goes to the intake manifold. The vapors from the engine (via valve cover and dip stick) are routed back into the engine to be burnt again (via the intake manifold), the diaphram in this separator does brake and creates a vacumm leak, in some cases the excessive passing of oil will soften the hoses, There was a bulletin that was sent to the dealers about this, I will try and get it and post it.
did find that bulletin?

·
Registered
26 Posts
bmwfann said:
I have the same problem on my 2000 323i with 150k. There is a whistling noise from the intake area when I accelerate while driving. When parked, when I accelerate it sounds like an intake vacum leak. I took my car to my mechanic and he tried to find the leak by spraying brake parts cleaner but he could not find it.
I have two additional problems that might be related to this leak:
When I pump gas, the pump stops every 5-10 seconds indicating a pressure issue inside my gas tank and also I have a Service Engine Soon light on with "EVAP small leak detected" code.

Any additional info on this would be appreciated.
Same Problem here ! Do a search and you will see MANY others with this prob. I wish the dealership would just fix the damn thing already. Brought it in and they said..........yeah we here it and that they have several other cars in the dealership that have the same noise.

Even when the service advisor was writing up the ticket, she seemed very familiar with the "whistling noise" description. However, they did not fix it. Said they tried a diff. intake box assembly, checked the PCV valve system and that everything checked out.

I'm starting to wonder if BMW knows what the prob. is but doesn't want to fix it. I'm calling BMW North America tomm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
BWMguy206 said:
You have to replace both the hose and cyclone separator (crankcase vent/oil vapor separator)
Hey BMWguy, how do you know this ? Did you have this same prob. ? If so, did the dealership do the fix ?? Thank you.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts