BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I am new here, hopefully this is the right place to post this.

I have an opportunity to get a 2002 325 shell for cheap. I would swap in a ford v8, strip it down and make it a drift car.

Even tho it won't be a daily driven car, it needs to be relatively street legal. Emissions are not a problem for me.

I would plan on building a stand alone harness for the v8, but how hard is it do wire that up to the stock gauges?
I could do after market tach and speedo, but would be nice to be able to use the oem cluster if possible.

Another issue is the bmw is DBW, can a mechanical gas pedal and cable from an older e46 bolt into this car or will it take some work?

Is there any other possible problems that would arise during the swap?

Why am I doing this you may ask. I can get the shell, engine and trans for under a grand total, figured it would be a start for a fun toy.

A little back ground, I have done a few swaps before and have friends that have done many swaps, but none of us know anything about bmws

Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Really?

Why not buy a mustang?Or m3 v8
I know 5.0 are quite an easy hotroders
Engine but nt for e46 would certainly
ruin its perfect balance and Handling

Each to his own!

·
Registered
533 Posts

Each to his own!
A 302 weighs about the same as a S54, and it's a shorter motor by a non-insignificant amount so it will carry its weight more centrally anyway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The E36 is probably an easier Ford V8 conversion. www.e36v8.net
+1 :thumbup:

A 302 weighs about the same as a S54, and it's a shorter motor by a non-insignificant amount so it will carry its weight more centrally anyway.
+1 :thumbup:

Each to his own!
The Ford 5.0 is very close to the weight of the M52 six-cylinder engine. Both weigh around 480-500 pounds fully dressed with accessories, transmissions, and oil. Toss some aluminum heads on there to save about 50 lbs (and add up to 100 horsepower).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey everybody, I am new here, hopefully this is the right place to post this.

I have an opportunity to get a 2002 325 shell for cheap. I would swap in a ford v8, strip it down and make it a drift car.

Even tho it won't be a daily driven car, it needs to be relatively street legal. Emissions are not a problem for me.

I would plan on building a stand alone harness for the v8, but how hard is it do wire that up to the stock gauges?
I could do after market tach and speedo, but would be nice to be able to use the oem cluster if possible.

Another issue is the bmw is DBW, can a mechanical gas pedal and cable from an older e46 bolt into this car or will it take some work?

Is there any other possible problems that would arise during the swap?

Why am I doing this you may ask. I can get the shell, engine and trans for under a grand total, figured it would be a start for a fun toy.

A little back ground, I have done a few swaps before and have friends that have done many swaps, but none of us know anything about bmws

Thanks
Did you ever get around to making this happen? I have a coyote motor from my crashed Mustang that I want to put in but I've never done anything like this. Looking for tips.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using E46Fanatics mobile app

1 - 7 of 7 Posts