BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Pick which V8 I should swap into my E46 non-M coupe

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I'm faced with a fun choice/dilemma which I'm desperately seeking a solution to...

I've got a permanent work vehicle now, so it free up my E46 for a major project... I've got the better part of $15K right now to play with, and it seems like a waste for me to go the route of rebuilding and supercharging a 328Ci with 142K on the odometer and a step transmission... I'm never going to get the power I crave from playing with the stock engine, and I want something that's mildly-insane anyway... turbo and supercharged S54 swaps have been ruled out because they cost too much for too little gain IMO...

I've decided to do a V8 swap... And I have a few choices... Two are within my budget, and two are going to have to wait just a little bit longer if I choose them... Whichever way I go, once I get the motor, I'm not turning back...

So I think this poll only gets to stay open for a week, but I'm going to ask that everyone spread this as much as possible for the next month or two and have people chime in...

Just keep in mind, I've got $15K right now, and probably another $10K by the time this gets underway... So no wildly insane suggestions... Seriously, I know if I had 50 grand, I could do a HPF Stage 4 swap; but that's just not an option, and despite being the Holy Grail of engine upgrades, it's not what I'd choose for a non-M anyway...

So here's the choices in order of what I've estimated to be overall cost... It'll be motor cost + transmission, (probably stand-alone)ECU, differential, drive shaft;

1. GM LS3 - $6K new + $4K
2. E39 M5 S62 $6K used + $5K
3. E9X M3 S65 $12K used + $6K
4. GM LS9 $22K new + $5K

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
OK, so I'm faced with a fun choice/dilemma which I'm desperately seeking a solution to...

I've got a permanent work vehicle now, so it free up my E46 for a major project... I've got the better part of $15K right now to play with, and it seems like a waste for me to go the route of rebuilding and supercharging a 328Ci with 142K on the odometer and a step transmission... I'm never going to get the power I crave from playing with the stock engine, and I want something that's mildly-insane anyway... turbo and supercharged S54 swaps have been ruled out because they cost too much for too little gain IMO...

I've decided to do a V8 swap... And I have a few choices... Two are within my budget, and two are going to have to wait just a little bit longer if I choose them... Whichever way I go, once I get the motor, I'm not turning back...

So I think this poll only gets to stay open for a week, but I'm going to ask that everyone spread this as much as possible for the next month or two and have people chime in...

Just keep in mind, I've got $15K right now, and probably another $10K by the time this gets underway... So no wildly insane suggestions... Seriously, I know if I had 50 grand, I could do a HPF Stage 4 swap; but that's just not an option, and despite being the Holy Grail of engine upgrades, it's not what I'd choose for a non-M anyway...

So here's the choices in order of what I've estimated to be overall cost... It'll be motor cost + transmission, (probably stand-alone)ECU, differential, drive shaft;

1. GM LS3 - $6K new + $4K
2. E39 M5 S62 $6K used + $5K
3. E9X M3 S65 $12K used + $6K
4. GM LS9 $22K new + $5K
S62 no doubt.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Not sure why this is posted twice - but i'll paste my comments from the other thread:

Even if you could fit it in there, I think that much hp and torque will bend & snap that chassis like a twig. Do what you will but I don't think your stock frame can accomodate that.

Personally I can't imagine these days having $15k lying around that I had nothing better to do with than buy a new engine.

·
Registered
254 Posts
S62 is a bad-asss engine, you stay true to bmw, get massive amounts of power.... but you better reinforce your car and have an lsd!!! for the best looking price. GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure why this is posted twice - but i'll paste my comments from the other thread:

Even if you could fit it in there, I think that much hp and torque will bend & snap that chassis like a twig. Do what you will but I don't think your stock frame can accomodate that.

Personally I can't imagine these days having $15k lying around that I had nothing better to do with than buy a new engine.
Racing Dynamics has fit the S62 into the E46 coupe...
G-Power fit the S85 V10 from the M5/6 into the E46 coupe...

...and this isn't $15K lying around...
It's been purposely set aside for just such insanity.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
S62, for easiest and least expensive swap. GM engines wouldn't be an easy swap, to get working with the rest of the E46 electronics...

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I hate to say this, but these sorts of threads always end up with the OP running away after he's gotten all our hopes up. Is this a serious thread or a feeler "should I" thread?

But S62 without a second thought.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh the insanity!!!

Common kids... Why has no one called me a crazy @$$hole for even thinking to include the LS9 on this list???

Seriously; C6-ZR1 motor in an E46... 638+bhp right out of the box!!!

Does no one want to see that???

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'd want to see a S65. It would stay BMW (which is good) and it's been done a lot less than the S62 (which gives you the "wow" factor).

·
Registered
743 Posts
Common kids... Why has no one called me a crazy @$$hole for even thinking to include the LS9 on this list???

Yes that would be awesome but it would prob break the car in half. I think stick to an s62 or s85 and supercharge that! :rofl: that would prob still break the car in half, but with sticking to the roots.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dat biznitch better keep her hands of my money!!!

I hate to say this, but these sorts of threads always end up with the OP running away after he's gotten all our hopes up. Is this a serious thread or a feeler "should I" thread?
Oh no, this is serious... Don't think it's going to happen tomorrow though...

I mean, I'm giving this a solid 60 days of polling:read:... This obviously isn't a minor project by any means, and I'm fully aware that I'm not aware of every little detail at this point...

The cash is there, the will is there... Now it's just a matter of making a logical decision:loco:, and putting that plan into action...

...and not having my fiance find out, and try to steal my cash and buy something stupid for the house with it, like the dumb fence that she wants to replace, for the imaginary dog that she doesn't have yet!!!:banghead:

·
Registered
813 Posts
M73b54

·
Registered
743 Posts
Oh no, this is serious... Don't think it's going to happen tomorrow though...

I mean, I'm giving this a solid 60 days of polling:read:... This obviously isn't a minor project by any means, and I'm fully aware that I'm not aware of every little detail at this point...

The cash is there, the will is there... Now it's just a matter of making a logical decision:loco:, and putting that plan into action...

...and not having my fiance find out, and try to steal my cash and buy something stupid for the house with it, like the dumb fence that she wants to replace, for the imaginary dog that she doesn't have yet!!!:banghead:
:lmao: Good luck with that. When she sees your car in pieces, just tell her it's an Inspection III and that you are saving you guys money by DIY.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Sorry I don't think an LS motor has any place in a German car. Two TOTALLY different styles... Why dont you just buy a corvette and throw some ///M badges on it, it'd be cheaper.

·
Registered
828 Posts

I actually just voted for that and was surprised to find out I'm the only one!

·
Registered
801 Posts
HaHa

A guy I know remotely put a Corvette motor in an old Porsche 928.
Looked like a cobble-job, (but, for some people, that's not a problem).:tsk:
Sounded nice.

But the sacrilage of it! That's what got me.
Plus, the guy's parents came straight from the Old Country and own a nice BMW.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts