E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Pick which V8 I should swap into my E46 non-M coupe

V8 swap into E46 non-M coupe /// need opinions

147K views 183 replies 92 participants last post by  Revox 
#1 ·
OK, so I'm faced with a fun choice/dilemma which I'm desperately seeking a solution to...

I've got a permanent work vehicle now, so it free up my E46 for a major project... I've got the better part of $15K right now to play with, and it seems like a waste for me to go the route of rebuilding and supercharging a 328Ci with 142K on the odometer and a step transmission... I'm never going to get the power I crave from playing with the stock engine, and I want something that's mildly-insane anyway... turbo and supercharged S54 swaps have been ruled out because they cost too much for too little gain IMO...

I've decided to do a V8 swap... And I have a few choices... Two are within my budget, and two are going to have to wait just a little bit longer if I choose them... Whichever way I go, once I get the motor, I'm not turning back...

So I think this poll only gets to stay open for a week, but I'm going to ask that everyone spread this as much as possible for the next month or two and have people chime in...

Just keep in mind, I've got $15K right now, and probably another $10K by the time this gets underway... So no wildly insane suggestions... Seriously, I know if I had 50 grand, I could do a HPF Stage 4 swap; but that's just not an option, and despite being the Holy Grail of engine upgrades, it's not what I'd choose for a non-M anyway...

So here's the choices in order of what I've estimated to be overall cost... It'll be motor cost + transmission, (probably stand-alone)ECU, differential, drive shaft;

1. GM LS3 - $6K new + $4K
2. E39 M5 S62 $6K used + $5K
3. E9X M3 S65 $12K used + $6K
4. GM LS9 $22K new + $5K

See less See more
#3 ·
Not sure why this is posted twice - but i'll paste my comments from the other thread:

Even if you could fit it in there, I think that much hp and torque will bend & snap that chassis like a twig. Do what you will but I don't think your stock frame can accomodate that.

Personally I can't imagine these days having $15k lying around that I had nothing better to do with than buy a new engine.

#12 ·
Dat biznitch better keep her hands of my money!!!

I hate to say this, but these sorts of threads always end up with the OP running away after he's gotten all our hopes up. Is this a serious thread or a feeler "should I" thread?
Oh no, this is serious... Don't think it's going to happen tomorrow though...

I mean, I'm giving this a solid 60 days of polling:read:... This obviously isn't a minor project by any means, and I'm fully aware that I'm not aware of every little detail at this point...

The cash is there, the will is there... Now it's just a matter of making a logical decision:loco:, and putting that plan into action...

...and not having my fiance find out, and try to steal my cash and buy something stupid for the house with it, like the dumb fence that she wants to replace, for the imaginary dog that she doesn't have yet!!!:banghead:

#21 ·
Oh no, this is serious... Don't think it's going to happen tomorrow though...

I mean, I'm giving this a solid 60 days of polling:read:... This obviously isn't a minor project by any means, and I'm fully aware that I'm not aware of every little detail at this point...

The cash is there, the will is there... Now it's just a matter of making a logical decision:loco:, and putting that plan into action...

...and not having my fiance find out, and try to steal my cash and buy something stupid for the house with it, like the dumb fence that she wants to replace, for the imaginary dog that she doesn't have yet!!!:banghead:
I say go the route I suggested but I seems you already know what you're going to do with the Vette Motor. Just remember that much chassis reinforcement must take place no matter what route you decide to take. You don't want to tear the tin foil subframe in half.

#11 ·
Common kids... Why has no one called me a crazy @$$hole for even thinking to include the LS9 on this list???

Seriously; C6-ZR1 motor in an E46... 638+bhp right out of the box!!!

Does no one want to see that???
Yes that would be awesome but it would prob break the car in half. I think stick to an s62 or s85 and supercharge that! :rofl: that would prob still break the car in half, but with sticking to the roots.

#13 ·
M73b54

#16 ·
Sorry I don't think an LS motor has any place in a German car. Two TOTALLY different styles... Why dont you just buy a corvette and throw some ///M badges on it, it'd be cheaper.

#19 ·
HaHa

A guy I know remotely put a Corvette motor in an old Porsche 928.
Looked like a cobble-job, (but, for some people, that's not a problem).:tsk:
Sounded nice.

But the sacrilage of it! That's what got me.
Plus, the guy's parents came straight from the Old Country and own a nice BMW.

#171 ·
Once upon a time

I was ready to seriously consider buying the kit that swapped a chevy V-8 into the mid-engine position of a post 1965 Corvair with IRS. Made a lethally fast mid-engine Corvair sleeper that handled like a demon.

A guy I know remotely put a Corvette motor in an old Porsche 928.
Looked like a cobble-job, (but, for some people, that's not a problem).:tsk:
Sounded nice.

But the sacrilage of it! That's what got me.
Plus, the guy's parents came straight from the Old Country and own a nice BMW.

#22 ·
At the end of the day you're still driving an e46, not a vette. Makes me think of civic hatchback owners with GS-R or type-R engines; they are still driving 10 year old honda civic. For the money you will pay to do this right, you could have bought a vette. You will have to redo every square inch of that car, the chassis the suspension the weight distribution is specific to the engine and car itself. Am I the only one of the few here who enjoys working on their car, rather than pulling it up to a garage saying "make it fast plz idk what the **** does what just do whatever to make it fast" an blows cash just to shine their egos abit up to a bunch of people that dont matter anyway at the stop light.

#24 ·
hey man if u got the money to do it then go for it. dont listen to anyone sayin go buy a corvette if u want chevy power. u probably want corvette power in a four door car. i deffenetly do it if i had the money. GL bro

#28 ·
#29 ·
I voted Ls3 but I strongly believe you should do the ls7 427 swap:) It not too much more then the ls3 but comes with a dry sump system and good for future mods along with ~450whp stock. You would have major clearance issues with the ls9 due to the top mounted roots blower. I hope you actually go through with whatever swap you decide on and post a build thread:bow:

#49 ·
Yea, you know I looked into that, and apparently it doesn't have the same upgraded internals as the LS9... Of the top of my head I don't remember everything, but it's mainly got to do with a bunch of titanium components... (That's still a bad@$$ motor though)

SLP Performance in Toms River, NJ is going to help me sort out a bunch of these little details if I do end up going the GM route...

#33 ·
RB26 swap....you can compete with the guy who just did the 2jz swap..

if not how about an viper SRT-10 engine...would that fit?

#51 ·
Oh the insanity... Yea, for as totally insanely funny stupid as the Viper motor would be, I didn't even consider it... WAY to heavy from what I understand... although it would have that "Oh, get the f*ck out!" reaction ability :lmao:

...And let's everybody stop with their suggestions for Japanese engines...

It's just not happening... If I wanted a rice burner, it would've been in the options list on the poll...

#40 ·
are you kidding me? that cast iron blocked-monster motor is stupid heavy. I've had 3 Supra's and installed that motor into 3 Nissan 240's. There's no way you would retain the 50/50 weight distribution.

I vote the new V8 from the M3...it's lighter than the straight six and sounds amazing....and retains the Mness... :)

#35 · (Edited)
You could use one of the japanese engine suggested in there, but really BMW has a certain degree of racing pedigree when they build their M engines. Anyone can slap on a twin turbo and have as much power as they want (as long as the engine is built strong enough), the S62/S65 engines are built to make real power without forced induction very efficiently, something no other company to this day can match. In my eyes, they're more of an achievement than just raw power put out by turbochargers running on a high level of boost and i'd hope most of the people on this forum would feel this way. If you're looking for raw power and results, sure go for the *** swap. If you're looking for a car you'll love, stick with the BMW engines.

The S62 beats the LS3 in overall epicness of the engine, even though not in raw power. It's also going to have electronics that should work with the general scheme of things, and as someone so rightfully said on another thread, your car isn't going to be left a confused mutt. While I don't agree with the idea of the LS engines (very little power for the displacement, low redline, noisy V8s, not very well tuned from the factory) they do have a bit of grunt to them. They're pretty much the complete opposite of BMW engines, and as such belong in the complete opposite sort of car (ie an American muscle car). You would get more power out of them, but you'd get a lot more respect for getting the engine suited to your car. This isn't to say that the S62 or the S65 engines are slouches in any meaning of the word - the differences in horsepower are rather trivial and i've never heard an M5 owner complaining about lack of torque. I'd only ever consider recommending the LS3 if all you wanted was raw power and didn't care how much you had to do to the engine to get it.

I'm not really going to comment on the S65/LS9 because they seem to be more unattainable swaps in regards to price. I (obviously) think your best bet would be the S62. Its something relatively new but its been proven to work, and it would just be really cool to see (unlike an LS swap which is pretty much generic). It really was (and still is) a groundbreaking engine. If you do want to do the S65 engine, someone in South Africa has actually DIY'ed it and it works so its still a possibility.

Whatever you choose though, it should still be epic so good luck :thumbup:

PS - I think you may have seriously underestimated the cost of getting an LS3 to work in your car. A lot of people have done this before, and they're the ones that always make these threads and let us down. It's not necessarily the price of getting the engine to sit right in the bay, its the price of getting the car to turn on and move when you put it into gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.