BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this sounds crazy, I realize. However, I've noticed that if I am ever behind a GMC Envoy the V1 goes full laser alert constantly if the Envoy brakes. Maybe it's their third brake light, which looks like LED to me, but I was behind one through stop-and-go traffic for like an hour and I eventually had to unplug the V1. Then, this morning I was at a light, full laser alert again. It was an Envoy in front of me! You have to be pretty close, but it is definately happening. Anyone else?

·
Go fast Daddy!
228 Posts
This is direct from Valentine

I don't recommend that anyone disable the laser reception and I'm suprised that the company even provides instructions of how to do so from this FAQ.

Red neon is occasionally used for the CHMSL (Center High Mounted Stop Lamp) on new cars. We know of these models: GM Trailblazer and Envoy, the Lincoln Mk VIII and the latest BMW 3-series convertible.

These lights use a neon-plasma light source. The red lens allows red visible light to pass, and also invisible energy near infrared. The source is powered by a pulsating voltage on a frequency that happens to be similar to the repetition rate of legitimate laser-gun pulse trains. In other words, the CHMSLs have an invisible energy leakage that’s nearly identical to the beam used by traffic laser. If we suppress the interference, we’re likely to damage laser sensitivity.

If you’re really bothered by this interference, you can disable V1’s laser reception. You can reprogram V1 yourself. Here’s a link to the instructions on our website: http://www.valentine1.com/lab/mikeslabrpt3.asp

·
T!TSLVR
1,263 Posts
OH! so this explains why LASER on my 8500 goes off once in a while while i'm at a red light..

I thought it was just my radar detector going nuts :lmao:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Same thing here. V1 has buried in their site an explanation of it, but I woud NOT consider disabling the laser.

Not many agencies around here (IN) use it, but all neighboring states I travel to do.. Still cheaper than a ticket.. :D

·
Alco-ma-holic
1,021 Posts
damn, i was gunna get a V1 for Xmas, but now i have second thoughts. Is it really annoying or is it rare? i dont usually pay much attention to how many GMC's I'm passing.

Side note, anyone every been pulled over and have a V1??? I find that I have the worst luck anyways when it comes to cops so i figure i might as well just not get one cuz then i will definately speed.

Eric

·
mod bug resistant
622 Posts
MillsBims said:
damn, i was gunna get a V1 for Xmas, but now i have second thoughts. Is it really annoying or is it rare? i dont usually pay much attention to how many GMC's I'm passing.
Very rare in my case. This happened maybe twice in 6 months in heavy traffic.

·
Lord of the Idiots
178 Posts
MillsBims said:

Side note, anyone every been pulled over and have a V1??? I find that I have the worst luck anyways when it comes to cops so i figure i might as well just not get one cuz then i will definately speed.

Eric
Yup, I got a ticket with a V1. (85 in a 65 on the PA Turnpike.) The cop outsmarted me, I was travelling around many other cars but I was passing them, he used instant on and nailed me. He was waiting for someone to come by that looked like they were going fast and he got me, I never had a chance.

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
I dont regret the v1 decision at all. The laser annoyance has happened to me once only in the year that I have had it. I have saved AT LEAST 2,000$ worth of tickets with it already. It is a tool though so it is not going to stop you from getting a ticket but it will help you avoid one.

AdamR

·
'a certain moderator'
38,139 Posts
got a ticket with my 8500 too, but under far stupider conditions (is stupider even a word? :D ) anyways, i had it on Auto mode on the AC Expressway in NJ, and i was nailed by X-band! didnt look like a signal at all, it was far too filtered, and i paid the price ($400 fine, got reduced to $130)

moral of story, keep it on Highway mode and be smart...

-brendan

·
'a certain moderator'
38,139 Posts
i was out hunting for an envoy or trailblazer to follow with my 8500, saw several but none were going my way! :lmao:

-brendan

·
Registered
688 Posts
By the way, I'm not 100% sure, but I also think the V1 may be set off by DirecTV/Dish satellite dishes. Mine was going off like mad in the same places in some residential neighborhoods (i.e., no automatic doors found in stores), and I could see some dishes...

·
Big in Japan
1,373 Posts
dishes shouldnt set it off, they dont transmit. I do wonder what some sources of false alarms are though in res. areas, gotta be cancer causers by the way the v1 screams.

The laser thing ive noticed a few times, nothing yiou can do about it, all radar detectors will act the same.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts