BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I just got my springs and now I am working on getting Sway bars. EVERYONE on this forum recomends UUC sways and I wil prorbably get those but according to this chart what makes them better....wouldn't thicker diameter in the bar make the car more stable and stiffer...UUC has the second smallest diameter in both front and rear...can someone help me out with this????
:dunno: :dunno: :bow:

SP Stock 24mm/20mm
Eibach 27mm/21mm
UUC 25.4mm/23.8mm
ACS 27mm/23mm
RD 27mm/24mm
Dinan 24mm/22 mm

THX
:)

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,083 Posts
Well, RD sways are highly regarded as well...

But, I alway recommend UUC for a number of reasons:

- great bang for the buck
- great company behind the product
- help support a forum sponsor :D

·
Slow in, slower out
4,651 Posts
I think the UUC bars offer the best improvement in balance. E46s understeer enough already. The increase in diameter over stock is greater in back than in front to increase rear roll stifffness which increases front traction. Why increase understeer with an absurdly large front swaybar? YMMV

Ed

·
...and I'd be all shiny..
1,831 Posts
Service and support are top notch from UUC and that on top of an already outstanding product line makes it a top in my book. Being a forum sponsor helps as well. As far as you question about the different thickness of sways I dont know the answer.

Would the different/higher grade of steel make a difference since it would flex less overall?

·
Slow in, slower out
4,651 Posts
GhostRider said:
Would the different/higher grade of steel make a difference since it would flex less overall?
The modulus of elasticity is essentially equal for all grades of steel so there is no difference in stiffness between chromoly bars and carbon steel bars. The chromoly steel used in the UUC bars has a higher ultimate strength, better corrosion resistance, and better fatigue strength than carbon steel.

Ed

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Bigger/stiffer (less roll) isn't always the most desirable out come... especially on the street. While it might be great on a glass smooth race track, it could actually cause you to have less traction on a bumpy surface. Something to think about anyway.

Bigger isn't always better ;)

The only criticism I have of the UUC anti-sway bars is how the rear bar comes into contact with the emergency brake cables :confused:

·
...and I'd be all shiny..
1,831 Posts
Steve said:
The only criticism I have of the UUC anti-sway bars is how the rear bar comes into contact with the emergency brake cables :confused:
:confused: :confused: :confused:
Really? Are there any adverse effects to having the sways touch the ebrake cables?

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
GhostRider said:

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Really? Are there any adverse effects to having the sways touch the ebrake cables?
They only really hit when the e-brake is applied, but to me it's a flaw. I've been keeping an eye out for any wear and so far everything is OK.

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,083 Posts
Steve said:

They only really hit when the e-brake is applied, but to me it's a flaw. I've been keeping an eye out for any wear and so far everything is OK.
Steve, I had this problem too and ended up cutting 0.5 inches off the ends of my rear bars.

·
Registered
700 Posts
vinnymac said:

Steve, I had this problem too and ended up cutting 0.5 inches off the ends of my rear bars.
half a inch heh? on both sides? what did you use to do it? and that solved the problem?

AND Rob L. is that something that maybe fixed in the future???

Thanks

John V

·
Registered
719 Posts
I wrapped the contact area between the ebrake lines and the sways with vinyl tape....hopefully that gives it about 4 or 5 mm of rubbing room....:eeps:

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,582 Posts
Where is the chart that compares stiffness by %? that chart wuld help a lot here.

·
Registered
405 Posts
although an incorrect and sloppy installation can cause many problems, it seems that many people are having clunking problems with their sways. in addition, if they sways interfere with the ebrake cable in any way, i would not even think about putting them on my car.

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,083 Posts
johnv325ci said:

half a inch heh? on both sides? what did you use to do it? and that solved the problem?

AND Rob L. is that something that maybe fixed in the future???

Thanks

John V

A buddy of mine has a machine shop so we used some special saw that made pretty short work of the sway bar ends. Then we use a bench grinder to smooth out the cut.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
vinnymac said:

A buddy of mine has a machine shop so we used some special saw that made pretty short work of the sway bar ends. Then we use a bench grinder to smooth out the cut.
Any corrosion on the ends since you made the cuts?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts