BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and found varying answers. I do not know much about understeer or oversteer and how they affect handling. I would like to improve the handling of the car in the corners on the street as much as I can safely. It will not see track use. I have a 330ci SP, please help!

The different options are:

front: full stiff
rear: full stiff

front: medium stiff
rear: full stiff

front: full stiff
rear: full soft

Which one should I get, please share your wisdom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
brodaiga said:
I did a search and found varying answers. I do not know much about understeer or oversteer and how they affect handling. I would like to improve the handling of the car in the corners on the street as much as I can safely. It will not see track use. I have a 330ci SP, please help!

The different options are:

front: full stiff
rear: full stiff

front: medium stiff
rear: full stiff

front: full stiff
rear: full soft

Which one should I get, please share your wisdom
here's my understanding of car handling. understeering is when the car doesn't want to turn in as much as you would like it to. oversteering is when the car turns more than you're telling it to, and the tail comes around causing a possible spin-out.

if you just want better cornering performance, but don't really know what setting to put it at, it's probably your best bet to keep the original factory setting; which is a slight understeer. that means, for your sway bar setting you want to set the front stiffness the same as rear stiffness. now, whether or not you want full stiff front and rear, or full soft front and rear, is up to you. it's basically a personal preference when it comes to compromising ride comfort and cornering performance.

I've set mine up to full stiff front and rear, and I personally didn't think the ride comfort was any worse than when it was fully stock. hope this helps.
 

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
Joined
·
5,888 Posts
Sure...

You ask 'which one should I get' - so, I need to point out the sway bars come with holes at the ends, which make them adjustable. There is no option in bar strength, at least not from UUC, when you order them. You adjust them once they are installed, therefore you can choose or change your "setting" and stiffness combination anytime. So, my suggestion is to install them on the middle settings front and rear, and see how the car handles. If you notice oversteer (rear end feels loose, or wanting to fishtail), you should follow steps to increase understeer - and vice versa for understeer (front end feels like it 'plows' through a turn instead of smoothly turning). If you are unsure of what either of these conditions feel like, making the car handle more on-edge might not be a good choice right now.

Good luck.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,427 Posts
This topic is really so subjective, I highly recomend you experiement with the settings yourself in a controlled setting. :idea: Spend a day driving in a controlled environment with lots of turning. Stop to try out different settings. By the end of the day, you'll know exactly how you like your car to feel.

Personally, I think I like oversteer a little too much for my own good. :thumbup: Sometimes, I can tell drivers around me and my passengers think I may be driving out of control. :eeps:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bim Growl said:
This topic is really so subjective, I highly recomend you experiement with the settings yourself in a controlled setting. :idea: Spend a day driving in a controlled environment with lots of turning. Stop to try out different settings. By the end of the day, you'll know exactly how you like your car to feel.

Personally, I think I like oversteer a little too much for my own good. :thumbup: Sometimes, I can tell drivers around me and my passengers think I may be driving out of control. :eeps:
I would like to keep it close to stock, so full stiff on front and rear would give me the benefits of the sway bar and keep oversteer/understeer similar?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,427 Posts
brodaiga said:
I would like to keep it close to stock, so full stiff on front and rear would give me the benefits of the sway bar and keep oversteer/understeer similar?
Yeah, that's right. that should be nice and tight to eliminate bod roll, but the handling will be pretty neutral with a little understeer when pushed hard.

But, I'll say again, you should try different adjustments and see what FEELS best for you. ...and you'll have fun doing it!

Good Luck.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top