E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed the UUC SSK, replaced the tranny fluid with D4ATF, and attemped to install the RE WSR. The UUC shifter install was not as hard as I thought it would be, even though the carrier pin was a PAIN IN THE ASS. I finally got it off by shoving a big screwdriver in the gap I made by prying (from the back of the car to the front) and prying and prying it up. How do they do this at BMW? There must be an eaiser way. After fiddling with the RE WSR I realised it was an inch or 2 short and put the OEM one back. (just called RE and they are sending me a new one today) I also replaced the tranny fluid with Redline D4ATF. This was really Easy. I torqued the fill & drain bolts to 37 ft LBS. I think this is right. Here's what I think so far

1. D4ATF definetely makes a difference. less resistance and notchiness. I am going to start using Redline in my engine on the next oil change after they do my 30K service. (I got 25K now and just did an oil change yesterday with castrol Syntec)
2. The SSK is great. All the gears go in easy and its not hard to get them in gear. If you have trouble getting the gears in, you don't need a SSK.
3. There is more noise and it is noticable. I don't mind, but it is there. According to UUC this is normal.
4 The Delrin Carrier bushings did not fit in flush so I have to get it out and add teflon tape(this is according to UUC, which says there are different castings of the Aluminum carrier) There is some play in it now and this should get rid of it.
5 I cannot get the rubber boot lip to go over the carrier. I have pushed and pulled but it is not going on.

Well thats it in a nutshell. It is a great mod and will be lots of fun. I actually dont really think I need a WSR but I will let you know how it feels with one on. I will put my UUC TME in when I get the WSR back and wrap the bushing in teflon tape. AHHHH!!!! I have to take it out again.

·
Almost stock
707 Posts
nice review :thumbup: how did you keep the car level when changing the tranny fluid? 4 jack stands? I am thinking about doing this mod, but only have 2 jackstands.

·
Almost stock
707 Posts
nice review :thumbup: how did you keep the car level when changing the tranny fluid? 4 jack stands? I am thinking about doing this mod, but only have 2 jackstands.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4 jack stands. I got the aluminum jack from Harbor freight, it works great but you have to drive up on blocks to get the Jack under the front end to the center jack point. I am really considering trying ramps(would make oil change alot easier) but I dont know if my car will make it up the ramps.

·
INDEED
1,130 Posts
depends on the ramp i guess, but I couldn't get my 02 325i up the ramps I had. The front bumper gets in the way and I dare not force it up there. I can back it up onto ramps easily though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i had the same trouble with the retaining circlip as well. if you got the cartridge bearing upgrade, that is what makes it really hard as there is less room for the selector pin. i managed to get mine on pretty good, only 1mm of the yellow washer underneath showing in the "horseshoe".

what made you choose redline over royal purple? I haven't changed my tranny fluid yet but i've got 3 quarts of royal purple synchromax mtf....

as far as ramps, your car will clear rhino ramps. unfortunately my car is lowered so i can't use ramps anymore. i have to drive up onto staggered 6x6 boards and then jack up.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never heard of Royal Purple, whats up with that? i am perfectly happy with redline. Especially after buying it at a 4X4 place here in culver city and seeing some of the engines they had taken apart that were running redline. They were so clean you could eat off them.

·
Almost stock
707 Posts
athen66 said:

what made you choose redline over royal purple? I haven't changed my tranny fluid yet but i've got 3 quarts of royal purple synchromax mtf....
I thought the correct fluid to be used was ATF d4? Also I think the tranny takes 1.2 quarts, so you probably wont need that much??

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm talking about Synchromax MTF. He was talking about Redline. I'd say they're pretty comparable tranny fluids but I've generally heard Synchromax offers smoother shifts. Here's the link to a reseller:

http://www.karlracing.com/html/synchromax_mtf.htm

By the way, where in Culver City did you pick up the Redline? I live in the Marina.

wyu said:

I thought the correct fluid to be used was ATF d4? Also I think the tranny takes 1.2 quarts, so you probably wont need that much??

·
Invalid User
9,504 Posts
any of you wanna help me install my RE ssk? i'll even pay you since i have no tools and don't know what i'm doing. shoot me a PM

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
1,766 Posts
Patch06:

Tell us more about your UUC SSK please...I'm planning on getting one within the next couple weeks. What kind of noises are you hearing? Is it just the "snick-snick" from shifting gears, or is there more vibration and engine noise in the cabin?

·
Registered
382 Posts
1. D4ATF definetely makes a difference. less resistance and notchiness. I am going to start using Redline in my engine on the next oil change after they do my 30K service. (I got 25K now and just did an oil change yesterday with castrol Syntec)

I was reading early today on the Amsoil site that Redline engine oil fails within 1000 miles. Perhaps it's good for racing, but bad for street service. :dunno:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hmm. I'm really interested in the RE WSR + UUC SSK combo. let us know how that goes.

Also, what shift knob are you using (maybe I missed it). Is it the stock one? I've heard the big UUC SS knobs really help with the shift effort. I think the WSR should help with that too - please let us know how that works out.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm curious to know why people want the UUC SSK and then the RE WSR? The whole RE SSK w/WSR seems to be the better fit.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got the Redline at Dirty Parts, on the corner of Washington and Inglewood. Its on Washington in a little strip mall, West of the intersection and on the South side of the street. It was 8.99 for Diff Oil and 10.99 for D4ATF I think.

The noise I am hearing is not clicking just engine/tranny noise. It is not bad and I really did'nt notice it today.

I dont really feel the need for a WSR or a heavy knob. It isnt that hard to shift. If I hadnt already bought the WSR I would not get it. You could probably just put some lead into the stock SR as it is hollow and it would be just as good and cost $5.00 instead of $99

The WSR goes on any shifter the SAME, even the stock shifter.

The only part of the UUC shifter I did not like was the Delrin Bushing that was not a tight fit. Other than that it works great. I might lower the shifter abit.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I got the WSR back from Rogue a few days ago and finally installed it today. It was a pain in the ass because I had to take the carrier pin out again (the delrin bushings were loose so I had to wrap them in teflon tape to get a good fit). That was no fun. When I put the WSR in and went to attach it to the shift lever the bearings from the UUC SSK upgrade would not fit all the way on the WSR. After forcing it for a while I finally took it all apart and sanded the WSR till the bearings would fit on. I highly recommend this or you will be stuck under the car F**king with it to no avail. Got that all together and went ahead and installed my UUC TME and bushings that were also sitting around my garage. The TME was easy to install but I am having a problem with them. So far:

The WSR seems to have had little effect. I really don't see the need for this or a new shift knob for anything but looks. There really isn't that much resistance. I am also distracted because the TME's are making my whole car vibrate. When I get them adjusted I will post again.

The TME's are making my whole car vibrate. I must have put them on wrong. I recall other people having this problem and fixing it and some people just getting rid of the TME's. I hope I can readjust them and get it better tommorow. Right now when I rev the car even a little I feel the whole car vibrate.

Overall the UUC SSK is great except for the Delrin Bushings are not a tight fit on the Aluminum carrier (this is not a big deal but I definetely got rid of some play by putting on the teflon tape) This might be a strong point for the RE SSK as it seems to come with a new carrier, I dont know if it comes with a new carrier bushing though. With the D4ATF there is not a lot of resistance and I think it has no downsides at all.

Carlos

1 - 18 of 18 Posts