E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finnally got around to making a video review.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcZNGQDlhVQ

03 325i

Let me preface by saying that this modification was not born out of- "Oh hey I have a crap ton of extra money and I think I'll blow it on a new clutch and flywheel so I can spend 4 weekends wrenching on this car in sub zero temps"- No, it was more like - " Oh, hey I just blew up my clutch at the track and I can't bring myself to suffer through dropping the tranny only to put in a stock clutch and flywheel and be right back where I started." -

Needless to say, the transmission was coming down, so I upgraded.

After lots of reading, I decided to order the UUC lightweight aluminum flywheel and the performance organic clutch w/ pressure plate.
http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/lightweight-flywheels-c311all.aspx

Mine was actually a "blemished flywheel" for a bit cheaper that was meant for a e36 3 series/ e34 M5. (same fitment)
It is a 8.5 lb flywheel.

Installation was fine.. dropping the transmission was a massive pain, 3 bolts were seized and stripped and the starter was seized to the bell housing. Installing the actual kit is easy but I had to wait because the first shipment didn't have the flywheel bolts included (Rob quickly fixed this) and the clutch tool provided isn't sized for the bearing properly. I had to modify it so it fit snug with electrical tape, so I could properly align the clutch to get the input shaft through and lined up with everything.

Moving on.

Review: Downsides- Right off the bat you will notice that it requires more revs to get the car going. It is not as easy to pull away slowly and smoothly. So that's it for the downsides, moving on.

Upsides:

The first big change I noticed when driving is that the power/torque curve feels very different. I noticed that I lost a bit of low end torque, but it is more than made up for in high end power. It totally changes the feel in a very very good way. The car really wants to rev high for the power, and it encourages you to run it up to the redline. I find that this makes a very rewarding driving experience. To be clear, the lightweight flywheel does NOT ADD HORSEPOWER it only "frees up" power that was lost in the dual mass flywheel. (It is gearing dependent, do some googling) But boy do you feel it. I drive a 325. Not a powerful car. Third gear is where you usually notice the lack of power, but the new flywheel give it a noticeable extra kick in this gear. There is actually a push-you-back-in-the-seat-feel that was never there before. Likewise, first and second have noticeably more to them.

Now onto the clutch itself. I'm not sure if this varies from slave cylinder to slave cylinder, but HOLY HAMSTRINGS the the clutch pedal is heavy! I think I can safely say its probably the stiffest clutch pedal in any car I have driven. Including Porsches and a few wrx's. But I LIKE it.

The way the engine revs is massively improved as well. It just sings to the redline, making downshifts jokingly quick and easy. The time between gears when upshifting as the revs drop feels like it has been cut in half. MASSIVE improvement here IMO. I will include a video if possible.

Conclusion: If you are serious about modifying your car for aggressive driving, this upgrade should be very near the top of your list. It greatly improves performance and the driving experience.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Good review. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and rattles/chatter and noise at idle and low rpm ?
Yea... about that... it rattles. My LAWD does it rattle. But thats kind of a given with these. Honestly I don't care. You can barely hear it in the car with the fan and the radio on. In fact it has ended up being a conversation starter. Goes like this.

"Why your car sound like a diesel yo?"

"Well let me tell you friend..."

·
Registered
84 Posts
if its that bad its not worth IMO on a street car its a pretty big compromise, for the track sure. maybe something a little heavier will offer a less compromise for a street car DD type of vehcile

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I've had two different LWT Clutch/Flyweel packages on my Bimmer, they're totally worth it.

Rob43

·
Registered
78 Posts
if its that bad its not worth IMO on a street car its a pretty big compromise, for the track sure. maybe something a little heavier will offer a less compromise for a street car DD type of vehcile
IMO for the sake of some rattling, which can be minimized by having the idle speed raised, the freer revving up and down and performance gains are well worth it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Your video doesn't work. My clutch is slipping and I don't want to do all that work and put the same over engineered clutch.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your video doesn't work. My clutch is slipping and I don't want to do all that work and put the same over engineered clutch.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
Try this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHtluaptv9s

Or try and view on a computer or different device.

To reiterate, that rattle honestly doesn't bother me. its a small compromise for quite a large gain in performance. Most real performance modifications will have some form of drivability or noise compromise.

·
Registered
84 Posts
IMO for the sake of some rattling, which can be minimized by having the idle speed raised, the freer revving up and down and performance gains are well worth it.
yeah a little bit of rattle is fine...but not alot. For something on the street im going to look for a more conservative option something with a little more inertia in it. on my other cars you notice it most in first and a little in 2nd, by 3rd the difference is peanuts not worth being stuck in traffic with annoying rattles when a street car im not using 1st and 2nd with much aggression that often

·
Registered
729 Posts
My 6-speed UUC clutch is ready to be replaced at less than 45k miles. I'll probably go back to stock. The clutch was much stiffer than the UUC unit I installed in my E36 M3. It chattered like a bitch the first 10k miles, requiring high RPM launches when starting and rev-matching on every downshift. It still chatters in reverse. The tranny rattling is really annoying too. I'm done.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 6-speed UUC clutch is ready to be replaced at less than 45k miles. I'll probably go back to stock. The clutch was much stiffer than the UUC unit I installed in my E36 M3. It chattered like a bitch the first 10k miles, requiring high RPM launches when starting and rev-matching on every downshift. It still chatters in reverse. The tranny rattling is really annoying too. I'm done.

Your experience so far seems fairly different from mine. I can launch comfortably (if I pay attention) at around 1400rpm without any chatter or vibrations and i have a 325. And by chattering do you mean that mechanical whirring noise when the clutch is engaged and you give it some throttle when the rpms are a bit too low? Almost feels like a vibration? I only get that if I shift up too early. Otherwise I never hear it. And I always rev Match when i downshift out of habit. Maybe your experience isn't typical?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Your experience so far seems fairly different from mine. I can launch comfortably (if I pay attention) at around 1400rpm without any chatter or vibrations and i have a 325. And by chattering do you mean that mechanical whirring noise when the clutch is engaged and you give it some throttle when the rpms are a bit too low? Almost feels like a vibration? I only get that if I shift up too early. Otherwise I never hear it. And I always rev Match when i downshift out of habit. Maybe your experience isn't typical?
By chatter, I mean the clutch hopping as it's engaged unless you use a lot of throttle (yes, alot of vibration). I asked my BMW shop about it (I installed it myself), but they said they've never seen a UUC unit that didn't chatter.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
That stiff clutch peddle is nice, right up to the point you are stuck in gridlock traffic for 3 hours. You will notice a difference in your left leg after a couple weeks. Did you install a SS clutch line?

I had a Miata with the 4.10 LSD, and a 12lb flywheel 6 puck clutch setup. It was almost impossible to start in the rain without the back end kicking 4tf to the side, or stalling out.

Thanks for the review :thumbsup:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
By chatter, I mean the clutch hopping as it's engaged unless you use a lot of throttle (yes, alot of vibration). I asked my BMW shop about it (I installed it myself), but they said they've never seen a UUC unit that didn't chatter.

Ok. I wouldn't even call my a "lot" of vibration. Maybe a quick video and an email to UUC might help. It sounds like the over all drive ability is severely compromised with yours.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Ok. I wouldn't even call my a "lot" of vibration. Maybe a quick video and an email to UUC might help. It sounds like the over all drive ability is severely compromised with yours.
No, my clutch is toast right now. It doesn't chatter any more. Of course I can't accelerate quickly either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts