BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
needs a new sig...
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well the new 04's have SMG which is a manual transmission..sorta...can a lightweight-flywheel be installed on an SMG car?

·
Slow in, slower out
4,754 Posts
I imagine the installation labor would only be marginally greater than with a standard trans. There are only a couple electrical connectors and a couple hydraulic lines to remove if I remember correctly.

I have no idea if the SMG and the 6 speed flywheels are the same. You will have to call UUC to find out if their flywheel wil fit.

Ed

·
www.my330i.com
1,916 Posts
If you've driven a LTW flywheel car, you can imagine that the SMG would have to be reprogrammed to use the lighter flywheel.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
MarvelPhx said:
If you've driven a LTW flywheel car, you can imagine that the SMG would have to be reprogrammed to use the lighter flywheel.
That's what I would think too. Rob?

·
Big in Japan
1,373 Posts
SMG would be VERY confused, it wouldnt work..rumor has it even differential swaps can wreak havok on the SMG trannies.

·
Gear up, shut up!
1,240 Posts
A SMG LWFW might be in the works at a couple of companies right now...i know of one that is working on one

·
www.my330i.com
1,916 Posts
I would think that any LTW flywheel would work. Don't need one specific to SMG, but the SMG programming would need to be reset to learn that it will stall easier and shift faster. It is a whole different experience driving with a LTW flywheel.

·
Gear up, shut up!
1,240 Posts
the problem is in the software for the SMG system..it is calibrated to the stock lb's and by changing it you need to either be very carefull of not going crazy or reprom-ing the system

i guess ill find out tomorrow

4,239 Posts
The answer is the flywheels are the same between normal 6-speeds and SMG.

We have the E46 M3 lightweight flywheel available, but are not publicizing it yet... while it will work with a conventional clutch disk, we have developed a sprung-hub clutch disk to work with the M3. Several cars already have this installed with expected results - rev-crazy and minimal rattle.

Availability is basically now - flywheels are available, clutch disks are available in a few days.

The SMG should adapt just fine. Remember, this is not a digital system. The mechanical transmission's response itself varies greatly with temperature, so the SMG control unit has to respond to freezing-temperature sluggishness and high-temp thin oil. Likewise, it adapts to normal and Sport modes, different traction levels, and a variety of other things that alter the rev change speed.

- Rob

·
Registered
405 Posts
ok i could be wrong but im assuming that flywheels are like differentials?...or are they 2 different things?

still dont know????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts