BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok they are here at last!

Now a few questions.

Did anyone install the knob so that you could adjust the lighting of the guages independently from the rest of the interior. If so where (pics) ?

This bugs me. I am thinking of cutting it off and putting the OEM black part in as a replacement. Anyone tried this?

Sharpie for the needles? Anyone used a translucent red paint?
I want a smudge/smear proof needle.

Re cal of needles... Where should speedo come to rest? 10mph is the last marking on the guage, should it line up or fall somewhere below. Did you really use a fork to take off the needles?

Thanks

·
frequent tire purchaser
654 Posts
This bugs me. I am thinking of cutting it off and putting the OEM black part in as a replacement. Anyone tried this?
[/B]

I did something very similar on my Z28. I only wanted the gauges to be white so I cut out the parts I didn't want and inserted the trimmed black pieces I wanted to keep back in. I just had to make sure that the bezel would cover the seams. I'm not sure how it is on the BMW, but I would think that you could do the same.

·
Banned
966 Posts
When I installed mine, I did install the control that allows me to dim the gauges without dimming my whole interior. The switch is installed under the dash over my left knee, when I am seated in the driver seat. I kept my needles white, didn't use a sharpie, however lots of people have used a sharpie to create the M3 look. The needle should rest below the 10mph line, otherwise your speedo will be off. Good luck with the install:thumbup:

·
][D ][ ][V][ ][D
1,540 Posts
I just tapped into the interior dim control because my guages are always at the highest dimness anyways. I used an orange sharpie for the needles. :thumbup: As far as recalibrating the needles go, I just approximated based on the original position of the needles in the off position. Just make sure you don't push the needles in too far (I used the fork method to remove needles). The first time I put the needles back in, I pushed in too far, and when I plugged cluster back in, the needles did not move at all. Not good. Good luck! :thumbup:

·
PSHOPWERKS
4,517 Posts
You are one brave soldier in putting gauges on. I haven't gotten to that stage (bravery) [yet] of modding instrumental panels. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts