E46 Fanatics Forum banner

UUC EVO3 + DSSR major play in gear, wtf? Video

18K views 48 replies 24 participants last post by  Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT: Problem resolved! Just got off the phone with Arjun at UUC, VERY nice guy. Instantly knew who I was somehow, listened to what I had to say and we resolved the problem.

#2 ·
Be careful when using words like "pathetic" to describe a problem, when it's certainly not the product's fault! :lmao:

You can see the problem right in your video... the six bolts holding the ERK in place are loose. Looks like somebody skipped the part in the directions about using loc-tite on the bolts! Installer error.

When a product suddenly stops doing what it used to do, check the installation. 99.9% of problems come from installation mistakes.

- Rob

This post has been deleted
#4 ·
dude. just retighten the bolts! it's not that hard. did you even tighten it with 8 inch pounds of torque? are you sure the bolts are all the way in and nto making contact with the shift link carrier?

cause you and i both know along with rob that the ERK isnt supposed to move. it's just maintence dude. if my shifter ended up likes yours when i bought UUC, you know what i'd do? go back and look over it. and since you are making a big deal about it being on labor day, do it a differnent day

#8 ·
has to be installation error... I've had my EVO3 and DSSR for years (I forget now, maybe 7 years?), ever since the DSSR came out and I have absolutely no additional play / no change from when it was installed... one of it not my favorite mods

so with your issues happening in 6 months, it has to be an installation error

#10 ·
I at my friends house with 2 BMW techs and one Porsche tech. Never have they heard of using loctite "properly"... Are you just pulling stuff out of your ass to put fault on me? Haha. Again, if it wasn't in the instructions...
:facepalm:

From Loctite's web site:
https://tds.us.henkel.com//NA/UT/HNAUTTDS.nsf/web/9D1C116A60593A688525738500677F35/$File/2033-EN.pdf
Directions for use
1. For Assembly
1. For best results, clean all bond surfaces with a
LOCTITE® cleaner/degreaser and allow to dry

2. Apply LOCTITE® 2033™ to threads in a manner
which will result in the product covering and filling the
spaces between other close fitting metal parts to be
locked or sealed
3. At 23°C parts will be locked within 30 minutes or
generally sooner and will be cured within 24 hours
The UUC instructions don't tell you how to open the container of Loctite either. Amazing you didn't decide to bash them for providing a defective Loctite applicator. If you're going to DIY, a minimal level of technical competence is required. I don't disagree that you have a problem with the installation of your shifter but I'm going to have to side with Rob on this one, I see nothing but signs of installer error here. Fix your mistakes and move on.

#11 ·
I just installed mine about 2 weeks ago. I remember tightening and retightening mine until all six were at the proper torque. You have to do it several times, because the collar shifts slightly as you torque the screws.

#14 ·
Technical competence huh? I did a ****ing e46 manual swap myself. I think I have plenty. Also, obviously the parts were clean... They were brand new! I understand what you guys are implying when you say the parts need to be clean, obviously I didn't put loctite on dirt ridden parts. They were brand new. And when I'm saying techs have never heard of cleaning the parts, it's because you portray like the parts need to be soaked in degreaser beforehand which is absolutely unheard of.

Oh btw, the bearings on the bottom of the EVO3 have play, excessive play. Sorry but that's not from installer error, I'll need to get a warranty exchange done on that.

To the guy a couple posts up: what are you talking about??? I just finished fixing the problem and when I took the 6 screws out, there was red loctite everywhere. I need to upload the pictures now. I def used loctite

EDIT: Red Loctite in screw holes, the screw's have worn down the shift plate even though the were only on there for such a short time. I guess they got loose and started hitting against the metal. When I re-torqued them down, they were torqued to 4in/lbs. Just like the first time, but the loose ERK bolts didnt fix all of the play. I discovered that the 2 bearings on the bottom of the EVO3 have developed play. So yeah, premature failure.
I think they were supposed to be tightened to 6 in/lbs, or am I mistaking? I don't remember. Did you tighten all of them and then go around and re-tighten? I had to do this 2-3 times because the ERK would shift a little as each bolt tightened.

I bet the loose ERK is responsible for the premature bearings wear.

People keep mentioning cleaning the parts because you said you did this while doing a tranny swap. If it went anything like mine did, there was dirt and grease everywhere. People on here don't know you or how you work and we have to eliminate what could be obvious faults before anybody can help you determine exactly what happened. There are thousands of people who have this shifter and you seem to be possibly the only person that this has happened to which leads us to believe that you or the loc-tight is at fault, not the shifter itself.

Regardless, what ever reason it happened the first time, I hope it doesn't happen to you again! :hi:

#12 ·
geez , all this about some bolts came loose :(

Bolts coming loose isn't a big problem, and i would bash on you if you posted just because of that(since it can't possibly be UUC's fault that the bolts weren't on tight enough,whether it was installer error or a leprechaun overtightened them)

However since you say that bearings failed in the shifter i'm halfway with you on this one, either the bearing failed which gave the ERK enough play to break the locktite.

Or a faulty installation made the bearings fail, if this is the case i believe you will have a hard time getting it done on warranty.

Best of luck to you :)

#13 ·
I don't understand why everyone keeps saying it was your fault, it seems clear to me that it is a defective item, also like you said, if you can do a manual swap your probably competent enough to tighten some screws properly lol.

Come on UUC just replace the part and don't ruin your reputation on the site that probably keeps your company alive :thumbup:

#19 ·
+1. :werd:

You know what I've learned from this, that apparently Rob doesn't know the rules of business:

Rule 1. The client is always right.
Rule 2. THE. CLIENT. IS. ALWAYS. RIGHT.

It takes quite a bit for someone to complain. And for every complaint, you can be sure there are 10 others who felt the same way but didn't say anything.

Just something to think about...

The customer is not always right, but they should be treated so.
I think that a company should acknowledge the problem a customer is experiencing and try to find out where things went wrong with prejudice left aside. Maybe create a checklist of "common issues", find a way to verify that your product isn't faulty in any way, and give benefit of the doubt if possible.

#24 · (Edited)
who the hell can say what you said first as you have editted all of your posts... how the hell do you figure he attacked you? you're the one with reading comprehension issues if you think he attacked you, re-read for yourself:

Be careful when using words like "pathetic" to describe a problem, when it's certainly not the product's fault! :lmao:

You can see the problem right in your video... the six bolts holding the ERK in place are loose. Looks like somebody skipped the part in the directions about using loc-tite on the bolts! Installer error.

When a product suddenly stops doing what it used to do, check the installation. 99.9% of problems come from installation mistakes.

- Rob

Slander? Sheesh, I know... let's escalate this to a cage match! Woo hoo! Seriously, don't put emotion into a post that's not there, I'm trying to help you (and forgive a quick reading of your e-mail on a holiday weekend Sunday night when guests are yelling for me to join them for dinner, okay?). No offense meant.

No matter if you think you did it right or not, it's clearly not done right. It's plain as day in your video that the ERK is moving around in the carrier.

Only one thing causes that: loose retaining bolts. Only one thing causes retaining bolts to become loose: incorrect installation, either not really tight in the first place, or failure to use loc-tite properly.

The thing to remember is that clean parts are critical for loc-tite to work, it does not stick to oil or grease.

As posted above, it is possible to tighten the bolts without removing the carrier. It's not really easy, but not difficult. Some people do it by cutting the allen key short, gives more working room.

Excessive play in gear can definitely be caused by the ERK being loose.

Other things to mention, just to make sure of the basics, is to make sure you have re-installed the bearing liners. Every connection point of the DSSR should be a precision fit, no play. This is not an overly complicated part, just a precision part... so if anything is loose, a good pair of eyes should be able to spot it immediately.

Also, keep in mind that there will always be some play in gear, as we show on the website. This is due to loose tolerances inside the transmission and cannot be corrected further with external parts. Exact amount of residual free play will vary between cars due to build tolerances and accumulated wear.

So, your plan of action:

1. Clean and tighten those ERK bolts and use loc-tite.
2. Visually inspect lower shifter pivot connection to DSSR for bearing liners.

- Rob

You seem to take offense to the phrase 'installer error', but how the hell is that an attack? Even if you somehow do think that's an attack (it's not, but whatever) re-read this thread, it's obvious when I count 8 people in here who all seem to agree it's installer error to 3 (including yourself) who somehow think it's UUC's fault that 'installer error' was a valid response from Rob

and btw you personally attacked me three times in your post I just quoted with your snide reading comprehension comments and can you read BS so enjoy your well deserved warning I am writing up

#25 ·
yes I am a moderator of this site for almost a decade now...

I forwarded your message questioning my warning of your clear personal attacks against me to Tim330i, feel free to contact him or Mark directly if you have any issues with it, I am confident they will back me up after reading your post repeatedly questioning my reading comprehension and portraying that I have no reading ability.

And for future reference, when you edit your post we don't know what it said originally or what your changed unless someone quoted it before you edit it. But of course you want us to just trust you that you don't edit your original post. Well re-read this thread, several people have told you to calm down and you're over-reacting but you kept going on your own accord and then personally attacked a moderator 3 times in one post. And then you question getting warned over it? LOL

#26 ·
I (nor any Moderator for that matter) do not set the terms or limits of the warning or an attack, posting inappropriately, etc that is done by the owner/admins of this site...

and yes attacking me 3 times in one post is a MAJOR attack... it's not a one off snide comment in a post full of other details... it was done deliberately and repeatedly within the same post and you get what you deserve...

additional warning: no more talk of your warnings in this thread, keep it in PMs with me and the Admins. Continued public arguing over your losing case will only result in further warnings for insubordination (and not from me, from other Mods)

#29 ·
wow crazy drama in this thread...lol

I got to go outside and check my setup now...:eek:

this is hard to know if the installer is to blame or just defective product...looks like installer did everything correctly...loctite should hold the bolts no matter if 4 or 8 pounds of torque is applied...when that thing dries it dries like cement.

When you took out the bolts to take the pic that showed the loctite cream already in there did the bolts come out easy or was it hard? the loctite looks like its still wet on the pic...if you had it for a few months already it should be dry looking :hmm:

#44 ·
i believe you...the first pic the loctite looks very dry but behind it, it doesnt...which is why i asked if it was tight...cause if it didn't completely dry after a month or more of use then the loctite they provided was defective....but if you say it was hard then its probably safe to rule out the loctite as being defective.:hi:

#30 ·
am not taking sides on this at all, my only question is why is a MOD getting so involved in this, to the point he thinks he's being attacked (most of us would just threat the comments as part of the discussion)..

both parties went about this the wrong way, nowhere in the vid did the OP insult UUC or put blame on them, he simple said if your having this problem check the bolts, he just stated the problem and could cause it, maybe he should have waited three days to talk to someone.

as for the vendor, if i have a problem with a product, (i dont know if your giving birth, rock climbing, getting or give head) am going to email you, so am not sure why the vendor was upset and talking about dinner and guest yelling, if your working thats your choice, so dont know what the friends being upset have to do with this,..

this just seem like a three way gone wrong, OP, vender and the MOD.. as for the rest of us :),. OP please, we already know you did a tranny swap, so please:)

#32 ·
why not get involved? I was one of the first few posts in the thread because I saw he was having a problem on a mod that I've had almost since it came out and that is one of my favorites. So I posted that it was likely installation error just like the majority of people in this thread have. However Neil's tone started bad and got worse... attacking a long time forum sponsor who helps pay the bills to keep this community alive and not accepting that installation error was a possibility... and then attacking me, regardless of what you think is "part of the discussion". Look we all know from his swap he's not a moron, but what does that matter? experts make mistakes all the time, so do us regular DIYers, etc etc etc

Also Neil chose to lash out in the public forum before contacting UUC directly for assistance, which isn't the appropriate course of action and hopefully he realizes this now. If he had, I'm betting this would've been resolved without any of the drama and without like 10 of us in this thread telling Neil to calm down. Clearly I wasn't the only one thinking he was out of line (nor that install error was the likely culprit) so why would I not get involved? and then stay involved?

#31 ·
Hey neil1138,

I understand both sides of the issue, but maybe reinstalling (if you have not already done so...but I thin you did) to verify the problem would be best.

I have bought a few high dollar items from UUC and the exhaust had a very minor issue...but I have always received the support I needed for any issues. I personally believe that the posting here is obviously making the issue worse. Continue to call UUC until you get what you want or ask Rob for an email address that you can use to email...if you want to have a record of this.

I agree with anyone posting their issues to the public...so that we all will be aware and learn...but try to be calm about it. The reality of it is that your initial post set the tone. Not to say that UUC should/should not have responded in that manner that they did...but you set the tone.

Post back with what you find so we can all be aware...I know I am interested because I am considering this part.

Hope everything works out!!

#37 ·
Neil, stop focusing on your account here an try to get this issue solved, I know you are upset but the more civil you keep your responses the less drama an quicker your issue will be solved.

UUC I know you are busy but these recent customer service out breaks are loosing your customer base. Id love to still see you here in 5years an supporting a site so its in your best interest learn to be polite or perhaps more polite when responding to customers issues at hand. If the customer doesn't call you call them! (it works trust me, an at the end of the day you can at least say you tried)

Hope to see this resolved soon.

Chasen G.

#39 ·
Well...not sure what I walked into but I have a UUC Evo III that also has some play. I did not install it so I have no idea if it was installed correctly or not. I installed the UUC DSSR to remove the play but it had little/no effect. If you find the source of the play and the solution, please let me know.

Thanks,
Todd

#42 ·
Oh the drama. I would have called before making a big post online. I'm sure if you explained the whole situation to him clearly he would help you out. Let us know what happens!

#43 ·
UPDATE:

Just got off the phone with Arjun at UUC. I told him it was Neil Prasad (Neil1138) calling and Rob knew of my problem. Surprisingly he knew who I was the instant I said what the problem was. At least he acted that way. He was VERY professional and courteous, listened to what I had to say without interrupting me.

I explained what happened in this thread and he very respectfully apologized for what happened and immediately set out to rectify the problem. I told him exactly what started the problem, the 6 ERK bolts coming loose and me figuring out that the bearing liners had excessive play. Told him that I was blamed for installer error and he immediately threw that idea out the window. He explained to me how that over time, the vibrations from the car can cause one bolt to come loose and after that, all 6 bolts can come loose. He said he has heard of the problem happening before. So Rob saying that installer error is the only way they come out... yeah, about that. He said nobody was to blame, no installer error and we resolved the problem quickly. Like I said before, I have a newfound respect for Arjun, Arjun only.

He got the warranty request for 2 new bearing liners and I should be expecting them sometime soon. Thank you, not to UUC but to Arjun. Very stand up guy. :)

Rob should post here sometime
Arjun is a representative of UUC, so you should thank UUC for correcting your issue. Its a team effort running a company take that in mind. Bickering an combative talk is not what we need here, there's been pages of that already. Next time don't post on the forum until you've contacted the company in question.

Regardless Mods Id say this case is closed. Lock Please. :russ:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.