BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I drive an '03 E46 325CI automatic tip-tronic and quiet often I flick it over to the sport mode; which got me thinking - Is it bad to always use sport mode or is it simply just higher reving and using more fuel?

thoughts? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
It isn't going to make too much difference at the end of the day. The only thing it does is change gears slightly quicker, and rev higher.

When I installed my SC kit, the instructions recommend that I use sport mode as it is a quicker change.

·
Registered
400 Posts
When I use it; it is mostly to maintain or reduce a speed going down a hill without putting my foot on the break eg downhill tunnels with cash registers/speed cameras in them

I would use it most days

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I use it; it is mostly to maintain or reduce a speed going down a hill without putting my foot on the break eg downhill tunnels with cash registers/speed cameras in them

I would use it most days
yeah I also do this.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts

I would use it most days
yeah but in D it also does this automatically when it senses incline.

its not any worse mate, its just that the computer listens to you instead of doing it itself. im assuming you know that if u just flick it over to the left and dont move it up or down that it does it itself right? just making sure coz you are talking about downshifting down hills etc.

anyway dont worry about it, its not doing any harm

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
When I'm just putting around the city I leave it in D, but if I want to hit it and overtake or pull out fast I drop it into S for the extra revs. :)

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
When I'm just putting around the city I leave it in D, but if I want to hit it and overtake or pull out fast I drop it into S for the extra revs. :)
just make sure you push the accelerator hard enough to hit the kickdown button and it will go as hard as it can shan

(defs should be a rapper coz of that rhyme)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am in sport mode all the time, the shame is you can't have sport mode as a default, I have to select it every time.

·
Registered
401 Posts
S mode is a nicer ride out of the 2.5L i find and does eat a little more petrol... also have exhaust system on my bmw gives it a higher note

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
just make sure you push the accelerator hard enough to hit the kickdown button and it will go as hard as it can shan

(defs should be a rapper coz of that rhyme)
Yeah I always do, cause if it's only in D it doesn't kick down as quick or rev as high, but in S it kicks almost straight away and revs nice and freely. :D

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
I just bought a manual so I can shift when I want and hold gears for as long as I want :eeps:

Call me old fashioned,

·
Registered
400 Posts
yeah but in D it also does this automatically when it senses incline.

its not any worse mate, its just that the computer listens to you instead of doing it itself. im assuming you know that if u just flick it over to the left and dont move it up or down that it does it itself right? just making sure coz you are talking about downshifting down hills etc.

anyway dont worry about it, its not doing any harm
Yep, all of that.

Unlike the auto in wife's Mazda 6 PoS. :censor:
God I hate that car. I can't beleive it rates so well in the press. :facepalm:

What a pile of schit it is. She loves it.:dunno:

A bit OT :)

Graham

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Shannon you didn't think I was serious did you?
Funnily enough yes I did :facepalm:, but the fact is, I have actually noticed a difference in the kick down ability between D & S, don't know why maybe its a computer controlled thing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts