E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Yea, I grabbed a Duracell one for $5 from Staples.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Thinkgeek.com used to to sell a low profile one that I purchased. Worked like a charm and allowed the door to close. Apparently they don't sell it anymore. Ill see if I can dig up the receipt and find out who made it.

Found it. http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e24a/

Out of Stock but with that info you may be able to find the same one elsewhere.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
The belkin one I got fit perfectly but since the cigarette lighter is always powered even with the key off, the led light is always on.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
No that is the new Duracell one with 2 ports. Mine has 1 port and the lid closes fine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have one of these installed in my lighter; closes fine. It lists as 5V 2.1A on the banggood site, but amazon lists a same-looking item at 1A. I will pull it from my dash and read any print on it to confirm.
The price is low, but shipping can take a month. Although I have it installed, I have not really used it much at all. It does function, but I have not put it under any heavy load.

cheap - fast - good
pick two.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have one of these installed in my lighter; closes fine. It lists as 5V 2.1A on the banggood site, but amazon lists a same-looking item at 1A. I will pull it from my dash and read any print on it to confirm.
The price is low, but shipping can take a month. Although I have it installed, I have not really used it much at all. It does function, but I have not put it under any heavy load.

cheap - fast - good
pick two.

Thinking about getting this. I saw this at best buy as well and I think top is 2.1A while the bottom is only 1A

·
Registered
2005 330i manual transmission performance package
3,880 Posts
This is the one I have.

Griffin USB Adapter
I have this one too. Fits very snugly, but has an issue with some devices.
This product as it turns out is an Apple charger, not a standard USB v1.2 charger and some phones and cameras don't recognize it.
I had to modify one of the ports (remove resistors, short the data pins) to make it work properly. There is a helpful info about this in Amazon's user reviews.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^ The one I listed has two ports as well and it's low profile.
http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=6573

Ended up getting this one. Turns out it has an LED and constantly has power.

1. Is there a way around this without unplugging it?

2. Would it be a problem if I left it in there all the time without locking my doors.

3. Is it true after 15 minutes the power is cut off if I lock the doors.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts