E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of trying to get some oem xenon headlights and I understand that the bixenon lights (facelift sedan / touring) come with a lever that allows you to change the headlights from LH drive to RH drive orientation.

Can anyone with a US car (sedan or touring) with bixenons confirm this before I purchase the lights....

Also will I need a software update for these to work?

Is there anything else I need to do to make these work or is it literally plug and play?

·
Registered
94 Posts
rm163603 said:
I'm in the process of trying to get some oem xenon headlights and I understand that the bixenon lights (facelift sedan / touring) come with a lever that allows you to change the headlights from LH drive to RH drive orientation.

Can anyone with a US car (sedan or touring) with bixenons confirm this before I purchase the lights....

Also will I need a software update for these to work?

Is there anything else I need to do to make these work or is it literally plug and play?
As far I know US bi-xenons do not have the lever, I bought one from the US on ebay for spares and it didnt have it. The regular xenon might have it, Ive seen the little yellow lever/knob on a xenon but did'nt know what country it came from - maybe Germany.

The bi-xenon set I bought from the UK dont have it.
They are plug n play but you will get a dash headlight out error picture as the xenons use less current, just remove fuse 32 to fix this (the picture will still show if the rear lights are out or door open etc) and your headlight level adjuster will still work ok.

If you get the computer flashed to accept the xenons (to make the error picture work properly) you will lose the manual headlight level adjuster, because xenons are supposed to be self-leveling.

My car passed the MOT no prob without it, but you do need headlight washers.
The saloon, coupe lights are the same just the front lens cover different.

-Ian :search:

·
Registered
96 Posts
IanUK said:
As far I know US bi-xenons do not have the lever, I bought one from the US on ebay for spares and it didnt have it. The regular xenon might have it, Ive seen the little yellow lever/knob on a xenon but did'nt know what country it came from - maybe Germany.

The bi-xenon set I bought from the UK dont have it.
They are plug n play but you will get a dash headlight out error picture as the xenons use less current, just remove fuse 32 to fix this (the picture will still show if the rear lights are out or door open etc) and your headlight level adjuster will still work ok.

If you get the computer flashed to accept the xenons (to make the error picture work properly) you will lose the manual headlight level adjuster, because xenons are supposed to be self-leveling.

My car passed the MOT no prob without it, but you do need headlight washers.
The saloon, coupe lights are the same just the front lens cover different.

-Ian :search:
NICE,
ONE OF MY FRIEND DIRECT SWAP THE XENON LIGHT TO HIS NONXENON,
EVERYTHING IS OK, ERROR WOULD BE APPEAR ON DASHBOARD, the manual headlight level adjuster CAN STILL BE USED, EVERYTHING WAS CONNECTED
, BUT THERE STILL GOT ONE FREE SOCKET ON THE XENON LIGHT, WHAT THAT SOCKET USED FOR, HOW CAN HE USE THE AUTO LEVELING FEATURE?
THERE MUST BE A SENSOR TO DETERMINE THE BEAM LEVEL, WHERE IS IT? :craig:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a look in my manual last night and it does say that it's possible to switch the lights from LHD beam pattern to RHD beam pattern if you have xenons. The lever to control this is inside the plastic cover that covers the rear of the projector part of the housing.

I can scan and post up the relevant part of the manual if that helps.

Would anyone with a US facelifted car (saloon or touring, post late 2001) be able to consult their manual and confirm whether or not the US cars have this functionality as well. In my manual it is on page 126.

This would really help as I can't see that BMW would make two different types of headlight...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts