BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
05 325i w/ m4 comp. wheels
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, last tuesday, my belt snapped omw home from work. I already had to change my p/s lines and rad support so I drove it home and left it on my driveway. I start working on the car, Rad support is off with the bumper, p/s lines changed, new belt on, everything seems good. Try starting the car, nothing, try again, nothing, 1 more time, and i got a little crank. Tried jumping the battery, getting 13+volts so it should start. Nope. Check all the fuses, everything's fine. Maybe cause the front end is off, it's not starting. slap it on, still NOTHING. Grab a new battery, NOTHING. not even a little crank or clicking of the starter. Called bmw, new key will take around a month (if it's my EWS) I need this car before this weekend and want to try other things before i do the starter. I'll attach as many photos and videos as possible

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hey all, last tuesday, my belt snapped omw home from work. I already had to change my p/s lines and rad support so I drove it home and left it on my driveway. I start working on the car, Rad support is off with the bumper, p/s lines changed, new belt on, everything seems good. Try starting the car, nothing, try again, nothing, 1 more time, and i got a little crank. Tried jumping the battery, getting 13+volts so it should start. Nope. Check all the fuses, everything's fine. Maybe cause the front end is off, it's not starting. slap it on, still NOTHING. Grab a new battery, NOTHING. not even a little crank or clicking of the starter. Called bmw, new key will take around a month (if it's my EWS) I need this car before this weekend and want to try other things before i do the starter. I'll attach as many photos and videos as possible
Quickly, when you connect the new battery, standing near the trunk, do you hear the brief electronic whir of the background systems powering up (right after neg terminal on)... It could be your battery terminals if nothing is happening with a new battery, irrespective of the starter... In that case, try tightening or replacing the terminals.

Otherwise, def go through the suggested no-start guide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank, I'll check it out and try some of the options it says.
Quickly, when you connect the new battery, standing near the trunk, do you hear the brief electronic whir of the background systems powering up (right after neg terminal on)... It could be your battery terminals if nothing is happening with a new battery, irrespective of the starter... In that case, try tightening or replacing the terminals.

Otherwise, def go through the suggested no-start guide.
Not that I recall, but before it didn't want to start, didn't really hear anything either. I'll double check when i go home.

1 more thing, is there enough space without removing the intake manifold to tap the starter? Have a couple friend's helping me out tonight so we'll try tackling multiple things

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,338 Posts
is there enough space without removing the intake manifold to tap the starter?
Have a look and see. A long metal rod tapping the starter while a helper turns the key to position 3 for cranking is a common stuck starter test.
Measure voltage at the jump point in the engine bay and at the starter if you can reach it.

On a no crank, I like to look at the EWS live data in BMW Scanner 1.4 for clues, because it shows the various states of signals required to crank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got her to turn on! It was the starter (Gave it a good hit while cranking), I guess it just got stuck and is starting to go out. Weird that it didn't really give any signs of failing till now.

Thank you all for your help! Will use these tips in the future

1 - 8 of 8 Posts