BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right here's the deal,

I'm pretty sure I need a new thermostat in my 323Ci M52 engine (built 12/1999).

How easy is this to do as a DIY?
Does it come with instructions?

can anyone guide me through this if possibe

dealers are gona steal at least $200 from me on this one (that's in UK).

problem is that engine is slow to warm. In traffic jams it reaches optimal temp 1/2way mark. Driving at any speed temp reduces markedly.

Many thanks for you help

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
How slow to warm?

In 50 degree F weather, mine takes about 5 minutes of driving to get to the 1/2 way mark, that's where my need sits all the time, straight up and down. If it's only going halfway in a traffic jam, that should be ok, right???

·
Registered
318 Posts
Riaz

Did you get your thermostat replaced?

My 323ISE has started to take ages warming as well...

Any instructions on how to change?

Thanks..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep, at local independent service agent.

Looked into DIY but backed off as it looked a little beyond me.

Oh and my diagnosis was right

·
Registered
33,139 Posts
Easy to change the thermostat. The total process takes 30 minutes if you know what you are doing or 2 hours if you are figuring it out as you go, and the hardest part is removing the fan clutch if you have an automatic.

1. Remove fan

2. Slide metal C-clip outward on each of the hose connections on the ends of of the thermostat

3. Unscrew the few bolts that hold the thermostat in and disconnect electrical connection to the thermostat

4. Remove old thermostat and replace with new thermostat

5. Reconnect electrical connection and hoses

6. Replace fan

7. Do a coolant flush or top off with new coolant and bleed the cooling system

This is the process for a 330i and I don't think the 328 and 323 should be much different. Search for "thermostat DIY" on E46fanatics or Bimmerfest.com and you should find a walkthrough with pictures.

·
Registered
123 Posts
How long are ppl noticing that OE BMW thermostats are lasting? I have 80k on mine and just ordered a new one from Circle BMW ($58). Car has alot of highway miles.

I'm debating whether or not to install it when I do my OE waterpump from rmeuropean ($67 shipped).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
had it replaced at 52k and just did it again after it failed at 86k.. did waterpump as well at 86 as a preventative maintenance

·
Registered
33,139 Posts
My OEM thermostat lasted about 70,000 miles. I'm kinda curious how long the new aftermarket one I got would have lasted. Sadly my car got totaled a few days after the fix.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i have a 328ci with a bad thermo, is it too late to get it fix with the recall here in usa? by the way the recall link did not work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts