Replace Front Control arm bushings ($352) DIY + pay for alignment
Replace Serpentine Belt ($133)<-WHAT IS THAT? - DIY
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=522832

Replace Rear Brake Pads ($225) DIY
Replace Brake Fluid ($86) DIY
Rear diff mount is starting to crack ($370)<-Is this covered by BMW? Shop
Replace Thermostat ($262) Never seemed to have a problem - DIY

Estimated savings ~ 60% of total price.

I see about $300-400 worth of parts listed. Since when is a days work for a mechanic worth $2k? We get that you run a shop, but this work would be less than half that price on a non-luxury marque. It's not a fair price. If your wife or girlfriend came home one day and said she dropped $2,500 to get this stuff done to her car, I highly doubt you would be ok with it. You would freak out and say "I could've done all that in six hours at the shop for $350".
Agree. It's like that with everything. Someone will charge you 280$ for fixing computer (15 minutes of work) but you will pay cause you are happy it works again.

The trick is, that you always think it is expensive when you have to pay. When you receive the money - you always have this feeling that people want to bargain about every 20$ ...

Anyways, I really think that dropping over 2g's for all that maintenance labor is really, really high.

People on this forum are aware of the issues, procedures, parts prices etc, that is why it seems to be so expensive every time we are quoted to have something done on the car. Then there is also the "trust" factor ... you never know you got what you paid for and that feeling just sucks !

Now before you call me an idiot for taking 2 hours to change the oil, IMAGINE when the bolt on your oil pan strips because of neglect from the previous owner. What used to be 30 mins now took longer, at least when such a situation occurs, I am at least still locked into the initial labor rate for the oil change - paying no more or less for what is to be done despite the additional time and resources rquired from the mechanic. I'd like to think of this as insurance.
That's weird, because I was charged more for additional work.
They always call me though. They tell me that something happened, or needs extra part or more time, blah blah blah.

I was charged more without prior notification only once, I didn't like it but liked the service so didn't complain.

agreed, am sure there's a lot of peeps with money (rich funkers:)) on this forum that dont want to pay over priced dealer to do a somewhat ok job and others that work hard for their money that dont mind doing some work..
Perfect example: myself.
I blew 1200$ for inspection II but now I wouldn't hesitate to do all the work myself. The more I read the more confident I am. If I make a costly mistake I will learn from it but satisfaction I get from completed job is priceless. Simple.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.