E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now in my 2001 BMW 325i E46 I have the standard Head Unit that could only play CD's & Radio (no aux/mode)

I was looking at a tutorial to upgrade the Head Unit and saw that I would have to buy and install a new antenna amplifier. But then I saw this tutorial which made no mention of an antenna amplifier.

My question is.. do I need to buy an antenna amplifier?

·
Registered
16,801 Posts
What the hell is an antenna amplifier? When you get a new headunit, the only thing you'll need to make your radio work is an adapter to plug the stock antenna connection into the new unit.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Why don't you just sell your current head unit and then buy a new one made in 2003 or later and then you can connect the aux cable you buy from the dealer and install the input wherever you want in the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why don't you just sell your current head unit and then buy a new one made in 2003 or later and then you can connect the aux cable you buy from the dealer and install the input wherever you want in the car.
That's essentially what i am going to do... I am buying Part #65. 12-6 941 505 (Jan 2004) and the Aux input cable

The best unit you can get:

(supports mp3 too)
I was thinking of getting this but I have no use to spend that much more money for a unit that supports MP3 because I already have a 6CD Changer that supports MP3 in the trunk.

If you're going to upgrade, don't get another OEM...they're all garbage...and please for the love of God don't get a Dynavin.

www.sonicelectronix.com - Buy a nice Pioneer, Kenwood, or Alpine unit.
I want something that is OEM and I have never had a problem with my currenct HU except for the fact that it does not support Aux :)

Nah. Style-wise OEM unit is the best. Sound quality is also very good. And I hate those aftermarket units in E46: they just don't belong here.
I'm with you on that one. In other cars, aftermarket HU's look fine but not in the BMW

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
alright good, nothings better then oem. Here is a nice diy you can follow, I did it in my car and it was very useful took me 30 minutes.
http://www.my330i.com/mod26.php#D
Thanks :) I have like 3 DIY's for the Aux all bookmarked (including the one you sent me). Between the 3 of those I should have no problem.

Is there any reason why I need the new amplifier to make the radio sound better?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have a 2001 E46 in which I swapped the original Business HU for a newer Business HU. It is a plug-and-play swap, but I had to also swap out the old antenna amplifier in the C pillar for a newer antenna amplifier because the new HU would not get any AM/FM reception with the original antenna amplifier. It is my understanding BMW changed the antenna circuitry when they eliminated the diversity antenna (the small antenna lead on pre-2002 vehicles). After the new antenna amplifier was installed, the signal reception was restored. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a 2001 E46 in which I swapped the original Business HU for a newer Business HU. It is a plug-and-play swap, but I had to also swap out the old antenna amplifier in the C pillar for a newer antenna amplifier because the new HU would not get any AM/FM reception with the original antenna amplifier. It is my understanding BMW changed the antenna circuitry when they eliminated the diversity antenna (the small antenna lead on pre-2002 vehicles). After the new antenna amplifier was installed, the signal reception was restored. Hope this helps.
This helped a lot! How do I find out which amplifier I need? Do I just have to see which frequency my current one has?

I installed a JVC KDA-815 in a 2002 330Ci (it was tricky with the PAC SOEM module). No Antenna Amp needed. See post #17 of this thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=839636
I do not think that will apply because mine is the OEM HU

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.