BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm fairly new to the board and have a quick question about upgrading the non-hk system to a system with 5 channels, 4 up front and a sub in back.

Other than the:

Head->Ven4->amp+amp,

are there hidden difficulties in this system? Is there something i'm missing in the system that makes it a tough project? As far as i can tell, if i disconnect the factory amp and it's xover (is this passive or active?), and wire my own gear up, i shouldn't have any problems..

If this is so, why am i being quoted $600-700 for labor at a quality shop down here in houston? I know it's not the easiest install, but that seems absurd when I already have the equipment..?

Dazed & Confused...
:confused:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i've contacted earmark in ft. worth and custom car stereo here in houston and both have given me the same basic quote. sounds a bit high, doesn't it? i mean, how tough could it be to hook up the ven4 and out the the 2 amps, right? maybe they take forever to take it all apart and put it together and that's the time they're quoting me...? Dont know..

Bender, you have any ideas??

·
hammer talks like this
4,292 Posts
id say check out other shops in houston. custom car stereo works on ferrari's and porsche's.... they do great work but they charge a lot for that work. CUSTOM. id say check out tweeter. the memorial mall location. I great installer that used to wrok with me works there. his name is mike ramirez... id only let him work on my car... he has a VW GTI when we worked together at cartoys he was my european expert.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice. i've had some very bad work done at the tweeter on voss, which scared me off a long time ago. the guy actually TAPED my mbq's to the existing door, rather than building an enclosure of some sort. Was the worst thing i've ever seen.

I'll go to the tweeter on I-10, though, and i'll just ask for mike. what is your name, so i can tell him how the hell i know who he is..?

thanks bender..

by the way, is this something i shouldn't attempt on my own? i've installed several systems and can't figure out why this one would be so tough...?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts