E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i had a question if the bmw dealer (or something cheaper) could upgrade to the newer software 2001 and up have i believe. you guys can hold the dsc button for 10 seconds and then the traction control would be completely off but with my car you can only turn of dsc... so the question is, is it possible to have the more "modern" software the newer e46's have and if so if the price range is going to be to much to even bother with, thanks!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Mine has DSC
Build Date: 11/99

What year is your car? What does your button say: DSC or ASC, or does it have an ///m badge like mine.
Try holding for 15 seconds. This how long it takes mine to lock off (until cycling the key off/on)

Granted I never tried: 11sec,12sec; I just knew 10sec didn't work for me, so I stepped it up to 15sec, and voila. Come to think of it, I didn't try it with a stop watch....maybe, I counted to ten too fast:banghead:

*Edit I just tried it with a stopwatch; and TEN seconds works.
Hold it Longer.:thumbup:

Sent haphazardly from my HTC

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine has DSC
Build Date: 11/99

What year is your car? What does your button say: DSC or ASC, or does it have an ///m badge like mine.
Try holding for 15 seconds. This how long it takes mine to lock off (until cycling the key off/on)

Granted I never tried: 11sec,12sec; I just knew 10sec didn't work for me, so I stepped it up to 15sec, and voila. Come to think of it, I didn't try it with a stop watch....maybe, I counted to ten too fast:banghead:

*Edit I just tried it with a stopwatch; and TEN seconds works.
Hold it Longer.:thumbup:

i have dsc ill try that, do you press it first then let go and then start pressing again for 10 seconds or what? ill tell you what happens later i got a 2000 328i btw

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
It's a relay type of button, meaning it doesn't interlock.
If the light is on (dsc off), and you attempt to hold it will just go back into dynamic mode; so there is only way.... Turn on the car> press and hold DSC for at least 10 sec.> drive away sideways.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Do you have to hold DSC for 10sec till you get the triangle on the dash? I just push mine like a normal button and the triangle comes on...
Press it once: DSC off-ish (less interference)
Press and hold for 10 seconds: DSC off (no interference) until you turn off the car

In both of these states, the indicator will light up.

Whereas in dynamic mode the light is off until until it interferes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Up to 9/2000 production date there is DSC III MK20 version available. Its one stage system and it completely turns off, if you hit DSC button once briefly.
Form 9/2000 DSC III MK60 version is used. Its two stage system:

They are physically different systems, so you cannot go form MK20 to MK60 with only software upgrade.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Up to 9/2000 production date there is DSC III MK20 version available. Its one stage system and it completely turns off, if you hit DSC button once briefly.
Form 9/2000 DSC III MK60 version is used. Its two stage system:

They are physically different systems, so you cannot go form MK20 to MK60 with only software upgrade.
I'm not sure about that date up to "9/2000"

Mine is 11/99 and I can long press the button and it locks out.
Shouldnt this not be the case, based on what you wrote?
Or am I misunderstanding you?

·
Registered
134 Posts
The triangle comes on.. keep holding until the BRAKE illuminates in ORANGE (so turn off the e-brake or it will be RED and you wont see it).

The triangle is the first part, the BRAKE is the system completely off.

PS. you can't drift an e46 non-M because you don't have LSD. You're just begging for a moment of understeer when the curb / wall takes out your front end.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I am not sure. Maybe US market has different setup.
My car is 3/99 and and one short push on DSC button durns off all controls.
Yes, but you can still turn DSC back on(light-off) with the button; correct?

If so, then what it sounds like your missing, is the fact that the button can be held, and DSC will go into a state of "off" which is more off than the off you're describing, by pressing like you would any other button.

The triangle comes on.. keep holding until the BRAKE illuminates in ORANGE (so turn off the e-brake or it will be RED and you wont see it).

PS. you can't drift an e46 non-M because you don't have LSD. You're just begging for a moment of understeer when the curb / wall takes out your front end.
His brake lamp will not come on.
Only 2001 and newer will do this.

I rarely have DSC on, and not because I want to drift.

I hate lift off over-steer, but knowing how to drive a rear wheel drive car; and with an open diff tabut:mad:,will keep that to a minimum.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

thats y you try in a open parking lot with a slipery black top :rofl:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, but you can still turn DSC back on(light-off) with the button; correct?

If so, then what it sounds like your missing, is the fact that the button can be held, and DSC will go into a state of "off" which is more off than the off you're describing, by pressing like you would any other button.

His brake lamp will not come on.
Only 2001 and newer will do this.

I rarely have DSC on, and not because I want to drift.

I hate lift off over-steer, but knowing how to drive a rear wheel drive car; and with an open diff tabut:mad:,will keep that to a minimum.

so what should come up on a 2000 328i? one click with have the triangle slip icon and when i hold for 10 seconds i dont see sh*t :banghead:

·
Registered
579 Posts
so what should come up on a 2000 328i? one click with have the triangle slip icon and when i hold for 10 seconds i dont see sh*t :banghead:
Doesn't it say only 2001 and up will have the option to hold for 10 sec? And you say 2000 328? Not sure since your sentence doesn't make sense?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Just press once and hold for: let's say 15 sec....so you know you held it long enough...if your 2000 is like mine, then you will have the DSC indicator; and you will not be able to turn it back on until, car gets power cycled.

If you tap the button, the same indicator will come on, however its not fully off.

Think of it like this:

No button pressed= dynamic mode

Press it shortly= sport mode

While the light is off(dynamic mode)Press it for ten seconds, or more; DSC is OFF...and will remain off until you turn the car off.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Take a look at this document to learn about the different ASC/DSC systems used on the E46:
http://www.bmwtech.ru/pdf/e46/ST034/13 P1 Traction and Stability Control Internet.pdf

DSC III MK20
Model: E46 all versions except all-wheel drive
Production Dates: 6/99 to 9/00

The DSC III system was introduced for the E46, beginning with Model Year 2000 production (E46/2: 6/99, E46/4: 9/99).

DSC BUTTON
The DSC system comes on every time the vehicle is switched on. The DSC button can be used to switch the system off. The warning indicator lamp comes on when the system is manually switched off.

This version has the two stage DSC/Brake light indication with the DSC button:

TEVES DSC III MK60
Model: E46 (except M3 and Xi) and E36/7
Production Date: From 9/00

DSC Button
The DSC button is located on the SZM, however the SZM provides no processing, it is simply a housing for the button which is hardwired to the MK60 control unit.
The DSC Button features two functions that can be set by varying the time the button is held down for:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Just press once and hold for: let's say 15 sec....so you know you held it long enough...if your 2000 is like mine, then you will have the DSC indicator; and you will not be able to turn it back on until, car gets power cycled.

If you tap the button, the same indicator will come on, however its not fully off.

Think of it like this:

No button pressed= dynamic mode

Press it shortly= sport mode

While the light is off(dynamic mode)Press it for ten seconds, or more; DSC is OFF...and will remain off until you turn the car off.

yes! this is what it does now that i tried it :thumbup:, i just always thought that when you hold it for more then 10 seconds another light would come on along with the dynamic triangle indicator :hmm: and also does holding it for 10 seconds, or more, make a difference then what you call "sport mode"? because no other indication comes on besides the triangle, and like you said, i cant turn it off until the car is turned off. thanks!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.